Bucktail advice
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bucktail advice

Bucktail advice

Hey guys. I've got the sudden curiosity and urge to mess around with some bucktail. Never used one I usually use White bait. I live in bradenton area so fish anna maria island Siesta key Sarasota gulf waters frequently. Inshore fishing kayak, canoe, wade is What id be trying these bucktails on. Any recommendations to color, size, brand ? Thanks

I prefer white ones. Size depends on what kind of fishing I'm doing. 1/8 oz or smaller for dock lights all the way up to 2 oz flair hawks for under bridges.
    East Boynton

Thanks flfjack any in particular Andrus, blue frog?

Spro makes a really good bucktail. https://www.spro.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=47

Try making them yourself. Not that hard, fun, and satisfying. Lots of YouTube videos for instructions. The won't look quite as pretty as store bought but my experience is the fish don't make artistic judgements. Check out a couple of vids on "whip finish" since that is a bit counter intuitive.

BOLO Mustad's new bucktails. I was given some a couple weeks ago. Quality hooks and two different tie points. One for fishing vertical and one for casting.

Not sure when they will be available to the public.

Thanks guys I'll check out to diy video and look into the Spros looking for real buckfur or even feathers.

Jig heads come in a lot of shapes, some more suitable for specific applications than others. Since you are basically flats fishing, (Shallow water) I'd suggest finding some boxing glove shaped heads. They are less apt to got hung up. An upperman (lima bean) is also a great jig head

Boxing glove

Upperman

Great tip, Jack.

I can't tell you how many jigs I lost in John's Pass....until I found out about those boxing glove shaped jig heads.

If you can find one (try Amazon), pick up a copy of Phil Francis's "Florida Fish and Fishing." Although this book was written many decades ago, it offers a great deal of insight into spin fishing with bucktail jigs in Florida.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast