A Fish Story
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fish Story

A Fish Story

Usually a fish story involves the fish that got away and how enormous it was. This one didn't get away, but it's a fish story none the less. I was fishing a real narrow point with mangroves on it. I was 30' or so from the end, fishing out in front of it when a good Snook grabs my lure. Well, if you haven't caught a big Snook, the first couple minutes can be exciting because they are very much in charge and you are just along for the ride. He swam around the other side of the point on a drag screaming run. I am fighting the fish and trying to get my Ipilot going to chase it. I finally get around and realize he had gone into the mangroves around a couple and back out. I can see the fish jumping out away from shore still pulling drag. I finally get to the area where the line is wrapped around the mangroves and realize it's not coming out of there. The fish is getting tired now, but I have no way of retrieving any line and it doubles back under the boat, around the trolling motor, back out the back of the boat and now I don't see it. I have to put the Power Pole down ,because now I can't run the trolling motor. I put the trolling motor up and grab the braid with a towel, but it's stuck on the bottom or back of the boat. I finally find the line in the back of the boat, grab it and pull the fish to the net by hand, both of us worn out. Quick pic then long release as it took me probably 5 minutes to revive it to my satisfaction till it swam off. Then I had to unwrap and collect line from 1/2 of the Gulf of Mexico it seemed. Later on had another big one jump up and wave goodbye as he spit my lure. Otherwise, lower slot trout and Jacks were where ever rushing water was today. Home for lunch with a boat to fix as I had no neutral or reverse most of the morning. FullSizeRender.jpg
    Last edited by HammerheadTed; 05-19-2017 at 10:03 PM.

That is a fish story. Glad you had it long enough for the picture. Quick thinking with the towel.

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYD View Post
    That is a fish story. Glad you had it long enough for the picture. Quick thinking with the towel.
    Braid is no joke with a beast on the other end.
    Heck of an adventure for sure Ted, and a sweet linesider

Very nice fish!

I am dizzy just reading that round robin!! Man, there was no way you were going to lose that fish. He's a nice one too.

That has got to be some strong line. What brand?

Some are fortunate enough to learn of the danger of braid through other's experience. I wasn't so lucky. Not a bad cut but enough to teach me to grab the 'towel'.

Dang , sometimes "it" happens.
    "You'll get your weather"

Quote Originally Posted by barhopper51 View Post
    That has got to be some strong line. What brand?
    I use 15# Power Pro Super 8 Slick with 40# flouro leader. I was surprised it did not break. It seemed like the fish could pull out all he wanted, but when I tried to retrieve it felt like I was going to break it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast