Planers?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: Planers?

Planers?

I've been running a no. 2 planer with skirted ballyhoo but there is so much drag I can only pull it about 6-7 mph. My trolling setup is a tld25 on a Med-heavy trolling rod with 30lb main line. Any faster and the drag starts to creep. It's already got as much drag as I think I can get away with.

Are you guys running no.1 planers with luck and less drag?

I run a #2 planer with a Penn Senator 4/0 on a 30-80# rod. I use a 150yd top shot of 80# braid. It cuts through the water better than mono and can take the heavy drag at strike. Once we get a big bite I'll back off the drag to about 10lbs or so to fight the fish.

OP, that's basically the same set up I've used for years (TLD25/30lb main line) but the braid top I think is key as beachside says.

Ever considered running a dedicated planer rather than an in-line planer? I run #5's cleated off on each corner and it takes almost all of the load off the rod/reel. That method is explained/diagrammed here: http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/pl...atch-more-fish

IMO, the only downside is it adds line that must be cleared when a fish is on.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Blue View Post
    Ever considered running a dedicated planer rather than an in-line planer? I run #5's cleated off on each corner and it takes almost all of the load off the rod/reel. That method is explained/diagrammed here: http://www.saltwatersportsman.com/pl...atch-more-fish

IMO, the only downside is it adds line that must be cleared when a fish is on.
    This...and there are variants on this...from a standard release clip to shower rings to rubber bands.....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you

I run mine off of penn 625 downriggers with a release clip. Real easy to manage and you just fight the fish after it pops.
    Tried the cleat thing back in the day but with random green dudes on the boat from time to time it doesn't work out.
    Either way, if there aren't too many weeds in the area, you should be running at least one bait down.
    I even run my 50 with a 48oz wahoo weight at 6-7 mph with a 25-30ft mono leader to some type of lure/hoo combo and that keeps it down and is quick to reel in and out... Same weed problem though... Lots of options.

Quote Originally Posted by beachsideandy View Post
    I run mine off of penn 625 downriggers with a release clip. Real easy to manage and you just fight the fish after it pops.
    Tried the cleat thing back in the day but with random green dudes on the boat from time to time it doesn't work out.
    Either way, if there aren't too many weeds in the area, you should be running at least one bait down.
    I even run my 50 with a 48oz wahoo weight at 6-7 mph with a 25-30ft mono leader to some type of lure/hoo combo and that keeps it down and is quick to reel in and out... Same weed problem though... Lots of options.
    I would prefer to do it this way or with downriggers if I had the chance. I'm usually fishing offshore on new (to me) boats so I use what I know. Weed problem is the same regardless (but don't be afraid, they'll hit them even with the planer covered in weeds). Again I'm unconventional, I fish my #2 planer 75 ft from the boat with 50' 80#mono shock cord to my 6' wire leader and have caught 70% of my big dolphin on that. They're not scared of the boat (in fact I use it as a teaser, fishing my bait just under the propwash)
    Last edited by beachside321; 05-19-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachside321 View Post
    I would prefer to do it this way or with downriggers if I had the chance. I'm usually fishing offshore on new (to me) boats so I use what I know.
    This ( moving boat to boat ) is the perfect set up for the " Redneck downrigger"... I have 2 Cuban yoyos set up with 40 & 60 feet of .095 weed whacker line with super large snap swivel /clips crimped on each end...One end gets a planer (or a 5 or 8 lb ball which I prefer) other gets wrapped and snapped on whatever is handy in the corner...rail..cleat...whatever.
    Super portable...does not need gloves to deploy or retrieve...fast & easy and works like a charm... I use a Blacks release clip on the balls....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you