New to SE Florida - first boat? - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I'm on my what, 5th boat after getting my first in 1985 or so. I started out with a 16' Tri hull lake boat, to a Sea Ray (shudder) 25' cabin boat (rented a dock at a condo, VERY cool) to a Center console (CC moved onto the water) then a (WA) walk around. Beside offshore fishing my ex and I liked to take the boat up the ICW to camp out on the boat, with friends in Biscayne bay rafted up, or in the keys for a weekend fishing.

If you want to do anything like that sleeping quarters are very nice to have and a WA is the way to go, otherwise the think CC. Why didn't they call the WA a cuddly cabin? Lots of that going on in them.

Don't forget some decent rods and reels, outriggers, down riggers, someone to teach you what to do with them too... :-)

Today my 5th boat is a 10' Jon boat no engine, trolling motor only and it's fresh water only for me from now on.

Go to the south side of Port Everglades and watch the smaller boats when the current is ripping. You will get a better idea of what you'll need. The webcam is still down.

Publisher
    I realize you're not in the market for a new boat, but if you haven't checked out Florida Sportsman Best Boat spend some time watching some of the shows where we're featuring center consoles in the 21-foot range. http://www.floridasportsman.com/flor...man-best-boat/

Enjoy the search, it's half the fun.

Hopefully you will make a few friends that have different boats that you can share a ride with. It will be good way to see would be a good fit for you. Even joining a boat club so you can try different styles of hulls. Maybe rent from a marina for a 1/2 day. So many thing to consider the sun in Florida can be brutal so shade can be very important.
    On another note welcome to PARADISE also known as Florida.
    larrywitt

If you want to fish the ocean regularly, IMO, you will want a 22 footer at minimum. Even then, you will have to be cautious of the conditions. A boat with a deeper "V" will run better in the close chop that you will encounter 80% of the year. Lots of boats out there fit the bill, don't be in a rush and have fun shopping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12