Boat painting help, please.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boat painting help, please.

I have spent the last 5 months building a fiberglass over wood boat hull. I've been trying to paint it using roll and tip/backbrush techniques that I have learned on youtube, with bad results. I think I have sanded off a gallon of paint in my attempts!
    I'm ready to go with spray painting but I have no skill or experience (obvious I don't brush painting either). If any of you who can spray point would be willing to come to my house and paint the hull it would be appreciated. I would furnish any needed equipment and paint, as well as compensate you for your time. We can do it inside the garage. I am retired so it can be at your convenience.
    Thanks,
    Richard

I spray painted some stuff with the harbor freight spray guns. Just practice on a cardboard box until you get it dialed in before you try it on your boat. Just be careful if you are using 2 part polyurethanes with the spray gun, it is bad stuff for your lungs.

I failed to mention that the boat is upside down, still on the roll around building jig. The boat is 7 x 20, so this is not a minor paint job.

I used a Harbor Freight sprayer, and Petit brand paint over raw fiberglass on my Gheenoe a few years ago. I was happy w/results. Just buy or borrow a big enough compressor. I had to stop every 20 seconds to build pressure back up.

I've already been looking at that. Lowe's has it and I get a 10% military discount. YouTube makes it look easy. I am very concerned at my ability to hold a steady spray pattern down the side of a 20 foot boat. One screw up and it's all over. Makes me nervous.

harbor freight has a great selection of hvlp guns and equipment...and for a "one time use" they cant be beat.

250 views and no volunteers to spray paint my boat. I understand, I don't want to do it either. After much hand wringing and internet research, I came up with a different approach. When it's done I'll post some pictures. Of course if it doesn't work out, I won't.

painting=no fun

Okay, the "different approach" came out pretty good. Using gloss exterior acrylic latex (as in expensive!) from Sherwin Williams, rolled on. I ended up with a smooth finish. Downside is a dull gloss, workboat look, but I kinda like it. I figure two months to do the interior, so maybe a launch in July. The boat is designed for one thing. Fishing the off-shore reefs within 20 miles. Power will be a 70-90 HP. Research indicates the paint should hold up well in the trailered marine environment. Guess we'll find out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGB4...ature=youtu.be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast