Boat painting help, please. - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looks good, post up pictures of the finished product when you get there.

That looks nice. I like the color. My wife is after me to paint ours. I was thinking of something similar. I wonder if there's anything you could do about the gloss, besides try another type of paint?

I have painted several hulls using Rustoleum oil based enamel, about nine dollars a quart at Home Depot, using a nine inch, 1/4 inch pile roller. Pre-sand of course. Mix about a 1/4 cup of quality mineral spirits per quart of paint and roll on, running your wet roller the full length of the hull when you finish a coat, being careful not to leave a build up from the edge of the roller. Three coats leave a good finish. Allow it to cure for a couple of weeks and hand polish. It should have all the gloss and smoothness you want. It is not as tuff as Gelcoat, but will stand up well with a little care and wax.
    "I fish, therefore I lie"

Turned the boat over this morning. Thought you might like to see how it's done.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YByh...ature=youtu.be

That looks great! What plans did you build?

It is a spirainternational.com Pacific Power Dory which I modified to a semi-v bottom (12 deg deadrise), reduced from 8' to 7' in beam, and added a motor bracket.

I saw my buddy, Lou D. in that video...which makes you Kenny. Hull looks super. Keep up the great work!
    Ortega River, Jacksonville, Fl
    One life, Live it.

I've painted several boats in my days, and would be happy to give you some advice.

Prep work=90% of the results

For any large areas that do not mandate spraying:
    Use a 2 part epoxy paint (perfection by interlux or awl grip or similar). Put on a couple of coats with a roller (+/- tipping it off)

Once you have a thick enough base, start sanding with a random orbital sander using 1000 grit, then 2000 grit sand paper. Don't skimp on this step.

Then, use a proper buffing/polishing tool with abrasive compounding material (3M for example.... they have it at west marine) and buff the surface until you achieve a mirror finish. not difficult, technically speaking, and guaranteed professional looking results, but a fair bit of work to be sure.

PM me if you need any tips

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12