Any of you guys make go pro videos and have a youtube channel?
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25
  1. #1
    Senior Member ragincajun92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kingsland Ga
    Posts
    370

    Any of you guys make go pro videos and have a youtube channel?

    My wife bought me a go pro camera a few years back so when i went fishing by myself she could see what i caught. I actually didn't use it much at first but i now i take it just about every time i go. I have been trying to grow my youtube channel and just messed around with it. Just wondering if any of you guys have a youtube channel if so post them up..

    Some of my freinds and family always want to know what i have been fishing with so i made a video to show them. This is my first video like this so don't laugh to much

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-obaDqmAAg
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    I don't have a channel but might soon. I bought a Go-Pro mostly for my kids to use but also to film my fishing trips for them to watch when they can't go (I always fish on business trips and they miss out), hopefully to drive their interest in the sport. And I might open a YT channel to share them with other family and fishing buddies, but since that makes it public, I'll need to put more effort into the production, which brings to mind all the good work some folks do and all tha classic wrong moves I see others making.

    ANYWAY, I watch a lot of the YouTube videos as a way to find new fishing spots/destinations, and just to enjoy seeing fish and fishing, and I have found that the vast majority of them to be pure un-watchable garbage. So if you're starting your own channel, and you'd like people over the age of 14 to like your channel, please consider this humble list of suggestions (please ignore the snark - it is for the offending parties who already have channels ):

    1) NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!!

    Nothing RUINS a fishing video more than dubbing it over with the HIDEOUS NOISE that most DIY fishing video use to trash up their videos. There must be some sort of online store called "Vomitus noise for ruining fishing videos" because they all have the same sort of awful style and cacophonic tones, and of course they're all jacked to 11. JUST...DON'T...DO IT!! A fishing video should be like a fishing experience - the soundtrack should be the incredible sounds of fishing - like an episode of Florida Sportsman TV, frankly....it's not a dang acid rock video.

    2) Act like a human being on your video. Some of the guys do it right, but a lot of them think they are x-game celebrities on crack (or want to be), and they spend the whole video trying to act and sound "rad" and hip and cool. There are a couple guys in particular who just scream the whole time. Yeah, okay, you caught another peacock bass in a private stocked pond with no fishing pressure because you dropped a live shiner on its nose...you didn't just win the Super Bowl. WaSo anyway, just be yourself. Don't try to be a celebrity, because you will come across as a phony game show host, like those fools who try to make their YouTube fishing videos look like a commercial for a monster truck rally.

    3) Show some actual fishing in your fishing video. That apparently would come as a shock to most of the YouTube fishing video regulars. They seem to think folks want to watch 75% of the video of them sitting in their living room or car talking about how their morning is going. Then, there's the always riveting footage of picking out the lure from the tackle box and tying it to the line. Ooooo, that's always a scintillating waste of 3 minutes. To sum up: a fishing video should be about fishing. Nobody cares about what you had for breakfast or how the traffic was driving to your location. People want to see the fishing and the fish. If you fancy yourself an entertainer, be entertaining while fishing. If you want people to get to know you so they identify with you and sub to your channel, do it in the context of fishing.

    4) Nobody cares what rig or setup you are using. And if they do, that's what the comments section is for. Or you can mention it WHILE you are fishing. It doesn't require 5 minutes of screen time to SHOW us the setup. We all know what a fishing pole and terminal tackle look like.

    5) EDIT. EDIT. EDIT. EDIT.
    After you're done fishing, edit the video before posting it. Take out all the worthless stuff. Rule of thumb: if you don't want to spend time out of your day to watch some random stranger walk down a path for 30 seconds or fumble around with the bait bucket for a full three minutes, then chances are nobody else wants to see you do that either. Most fishing videos on YouTube are about 80% wasted screen time and 20% fishing, of which only a small portion is actually catching.

    6) Don't post a ghost. It's still shocking how many times you click on a fishing video and either watch the whole thing or scroll through 5-15 minutes of film to find that not a single fish was caught on the video! Those videos by law should have to be titled "Hi. Don't watch. I caught nothing." If you filmed a day of fishing where you caught nothing, just please delete the movie file and try next time.

    7) If you're going to talk a lot on the video outside of real time talking about the fishing action, plan and practice what you're going to say first. Few things ruin the viewing experience more than guys mumbling and repeating themselves and saying, "Uuuum" about a million times. Then you get the group mumblers where the host introduces his "guest" fishermen and they are even less prepared to speak. Video grinds to a halt.


    So I hope that helps - and hopefully it gave some comic relief to a lot of folks who watch fishing videos on YouTube and have the same annoyed reactions to how really poorly most of them are done.

    If you want some examples of guys who do it right, check out these cats:
    1. A guy named Zoffinger. He talks a lot, but it's all informational and fishing-related. He also packs a lot of very useful stuff (fishing tips, kayak hacks, etc.). If you're going to talk a lot, follow his lead. Or if you're a really funny or entertaining guy, go for that too.

    2. A channel called TylersReelFishing. Though he sometimes uses bad intro music, he is all about showing fishing or talking fishing. And he clearly prepares/practices what he says - which again I highly recommend.

    3. A channel called SaltyKayak. This guy really has the concept of showing the interesting parts of fishing down pat. Presentation, take, hook set, fight and landing. That's the money shot in fishing videos, and his are almost 100% all of this. Only problem is you might have to mute him, unless you're a fan of real Ned Flanders.

    4. A channel called Fishing with Lawson Lindsey. Again, all fishing all the time, shows a ton of fishing action, and when he talks a lot, it's all about fishing, not what he and his "bros" are doing after dinner.
    Last edited by Sizuper; 04-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ragincajun92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kingsland Ga
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizuper View Post
    I don't have a channel but might soon. I bought a Go-Pro mostly for my kids to use but also to film my fishing trips for them to watch when they can't go (I always fish on business trips and they miss out), hopefully to drive their interest in the sport. And I might open a YT channel to share them with other family and fishing buddies, but since that makes it public, I'll need to put more effort into the production, which brings to mind all the good work some folks do and all tha classic wrong moves I see others making.

    ANYWAY, I watch a lot of the YouTube videos as a way to find new fishing spots/destinations, and just to enjoy seeing fish and fishing, and I have found that the vast majority of them to be pure un-watchable garbage. So if you're starting your own channel, and you'd like people over the age of 14 to like your channel, please consider this humble list of suggestions (please ignore the snark - it is for the offending parties who already have channels ):

    1) NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!! NO MUSIC!!

    Nothing RUINS a fishing video more than dubbing it over with the HIDEOUS NOISE that most DIY fishing video use to trash up their videos. There must be some sort of online store called "Vomitus noise for ruining fishing videos" because they all have the same sort of awful style and cacophonic tones, and of course they're all jacked to 11. JUST...DON'T...DO IT!! A fishing video should be like a fishing experience - the soundtrack should be the incredible sounds of fishing - like an episode of Florida Sportsman TV, frankly....it's not a dang acid rock video.

    2) Act like a human being on your video. Some of the guys do it right, but a lot of them think they are x-game celebrities on crack (or want to be), and they spend the whole video trying to act and sound "rad" and hip and cool. There are a couple guys in particular who just scream the whole time. Yeah, okay, you caught another peacock bass in a private stocked pond with no fishing pressure because you dropped a live shiner on its nose...you didn't just win the Super Bowl. WaSo anyway, just be yourself. Don't try to be a celebrity, because you will come across as a phony game show host, like those fools who try to make their YouTube fishing videos look like a commercial for a monster truck rally.

    3) Show some actual fishing in your fishing video. That apparently would come as a shock to most of the YouTube fishing video regulars. They seem to think folks want to watch 75% of the video of them sitting in their living room or car talking about how their morning is going. Then, there's the always riveting footage of picking out the lure from the tackle box and tying it to the line. Ooooo, that's always a scintillating waste of 3 minutes. To sum up: a fishing video should be about fishing. Nobody cares about what you had for breakfast or how the traffic was driving to your location. People want to see the fishing and the fish. If you fancy yourself an entertainer, be entertaining while fishing. If you want people to get to know you so they identify with you and sub to your channel, do it in the context of fishing.

    4) Nobody cares what rig or setup you are using. And if they do, that's what the comments section is for. Or you can mention it WHILE you are fishing. It doesn't require 5 minutes of screen time to SHOW us the setup. We all know what a fishing pole and terminal tackle look like.

    5) EDIT. EDIT. EDIT. EDIT.
    After you're done fishing, edit the video before posting it. Take out all the worthless stuff. Rule of thumb: if you don't want to spend time out of your day to watch some random stranger walk down a path for 30 seconds or fumble around with the bait bucket for a full three minutes, then chances are nobody else wants to see you do that either. Most fishing videos on YouTube are about 80% wasted screen time and 20% fishing, of which only a small portion is actually catching.

    6) Don't post a ghost. It's still shocking how many times you click on a fishing video and either watch the whole thing or scroll through 5-15 minutes of film to find that not a single fish was caught on the video! Those videos by law should have to be titled "Hi. Don't watch. I caught nothing." If you filmed a day of fishing where you caught nothing, just please delete the movie file and try next time.

    7) If you're going to talk a lot on the video outside of real time talking about the fishing action, plan and practice what you're going to say first. Few things ruin the viewing experience more than guys mumbling and repeating themselves and saying, "Uuuum" about a million times. Then you get the group mumblers where the host introduces his "guest" fishermen and they are even less prepared to speak. Video grinds to a halt.


    So I hope that helps - and hopefully it gave some comic relief to a lot of folks who watch fishing videos on YouTube and have the same annoyed reactions to how really poorly most of them are done.

    If you want some examples of guys who do it right, check out these cats:
    1. A guy named Zoffinger. He talks a lot, but it's all informational and fishing-related. He also packs a lot of very useful stuff (fishing tips, kayak hacks, etc.). If you're going to talk a lot, follow his lead. Or if you're a really funny or entertaining guy, go for that too.

    2. A channel called TylersReelFishing. Though he sometimes uses bad intro music, he is all about showing fishing or talking fishing. And he clearly prepares/practices what he says - which again I highly recommend.

    3. A channel called SaltyKayak. This guy really has the concept of showing the interesting parts of fishing down pat. Presentation, take, hook set, fight and landing. That's the money shot in fishing videos, and his are almost 100% all of this. Only problem is you might have to mute him, unless your a fan of real Ned Flanders.

    4. A channel called Fishing with Lawson Lindsey. Again, all fishing all the time, shows a ton of fishing action, and when he talks a lot, it's all about fishing, not what he and his "bros" are doing after dinner.
    Good points and thanks for the advice. I'm guilty of a lot of what you mentioned. I'm not real good at the video editing but I'm learning as I go. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. This is the kinda stuff I like to know
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    S. Fla
    Posts
    1,027
    i have a Vimeo account but i keep it private.

  5. #5
    Senior Member brianb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lantana, FL
    Posts
    2,217
    Congrats OP on your new channel. We shared on G+ and Twitter, subd AND liked your linked vid. I'm the crappier more behind-the-scenes producer of Darcizzle Offshore. See: https://www.youtube.com/user/Darcizz...confirmation=1

    Again best of luck to you.

    PS: Sizuper's comments seem more like personal opinions to me. Just do YOU and make your vids how you want. Every audience is different and everyone's channel goals are different.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Congrats OP on your new channel. We shared on G+ and Twitter, subd AND liked your linked vid. I'm the crappier more behind-the-scenes producer of Darcizzle Offshore. See: https://www.youtube.com/user/Darcizz...confirmation=1

    Again best of luck to you.

    PS: Sizuper's comments seem more like personal opinions to me. Just do YOU and make your vids how you want. Every audience is different and everyone's channel goals are different.
    No, my opinions are the end all be all. ;)

    I agree with you and wish I'd have made that more clear: the main thing is to be himself. My snarky comments were really down on those who try to front and fake a "celebrity personality" for the camera.

    By the way, I could've mentioned the Darcizzle videos as examples of fishing videos done right....but I feared folks might think I was not being objective.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orlando, Fl
    Posts
    395
    No, I think a vast majority of people will agree with all those points.
    I'd like to use my GoPro more while fishing, but I'm usually too busy fishing to remember to get it out. Might have to designate someone to be in charge of it.
    I do have a couple good quail hunting videos though. Search Boggy Pond Quail hunt and they are one of the top results. No music, just quail being shot. There's also one video of a bullshark being caught and a couple scuba videos.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Yeaaa_Chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    477
    My buddy does the YouTube channel thing. I fish a lot with him and it's a lot of work. Need to keep the GoPros running constantly, and always changing out batteries. You also need to make sure you don't trash your 800 dollar camera while out on the boat. I will say, it's pretty awesome to see the videos after though.
    Here's his channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8C9KG3Yo9EiIvl98_B1W0Q

    Personally, im always wearing my GoPro, but I don't get crazy with the talking and editing. I just quickly edit the footage I got from that day and put it up on YouTube.
    Here's a link to the videos I put up.

    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkdqQGYg6uBqzsLigq4gQNA

  9. #9
    Senior Member ragincajun92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kingsland Ga
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by brianb View Post
    Congrats OP on your new channel. We shared on G+ and Twitter, subd AND liked your linked vid. I'm the crappier more behind-the-scenes producer of Darcizzle Offshore. See: https://www.youtube.com/user/Darcizz...confirmation=1

    Again best of luck to you.

    PS: Sizuper's comments seem more like personal opinions to me. Just do YOU and make your vids how you want. Every audience is different and everyone's channel goals are different.
    Thank you very much..I have followed her for a while now. Love to see woman anglers who love to fish and know what they are doing
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)

  10. #10
    Senior Member ragincajun92's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Kingsland Ga
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeaaa_Chris View Post
    My buddy does the YouTube channel thing. I fish a lot with him and it's a lot of work. Need to keep the GoPros running constantly, and always changing out batteries. You also need to make sure you don't trash your 800 dollar camera while out on the boat. I will say, it's pretty awesome to see the videos after though.
    Here's his channel: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC8C9KG3Yo9EiIvl98_B1W0Q

    Personally, im always wearing my GoPro, but I don't get crazy with the talking and editing. I just quickly edit the footage I got from that day and put it up on YouTube.
    Here's a link to the videos I put up.

    https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCkdqQGYg6uBqzsLigq4gQNA
    I just subscribed to both you guys. Keep it up man
    Reelintension Go Pro Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger (plz like and subscribe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •