FWC approves 78 day Red Snapper season
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FWC approves 78 day Red Snapper season in GoM

April 20, 2017

Suggested Tweet: 78-day Gulf recreational season approved by @MyFWC: https://content.govdelivery.com/acco...letins/1957739 #Florida

FWC approves 78-day recreational red snapper 2017 season in Gulf waters

At its April meeting in Tallahassee, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) set the 2017 Gulf state waters recreational red snapper season.

The 78-day Gulf recreational red snapper season will be as follows:
    Open Saturdays and Sundays in May starting the first Saturday in May.
    Open daily starting the Saturday before Memorial Day (May 27) through Sunday following Independence Day (July 9).
    Open Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays in September and October, plus Labor Day (Sept. 4).
    “We are once again able to provide and maintain fishing opportunities for Gulf recreational anglers and provide stakeholders with spring, summer and fall fishing options for this economically important species,” said Commissioner Chuck Roberts.

The federal seasons for private recreational anglers and federally-permitted charter boats and head boats in Gulf federal waters have not yet been announced by NOAA Fisheries.

Learn more about red snapper at MyFWC.com/Fishing by clicking on “Saltwater,” “Recreational Regulations” and “Snappers.”

For more information on these changes or to view the presentations given at the Commission meeting, visit MyFWC.com/Commission and select “Commission Meetings” then click on the link below “Next Meeting.”

Cool!! Now the panhandle, and only the panhandle can enjoy this over abundance of "endangered" Red Snapper. Please open up the federal season so I can have my gag grouper and Mango spots back!!

Good news for part of the state. Have to run out 60 miles around here to get them. ....Hope the Feds take notice and adjust accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kracken View Post
    Good news for part of the state. Have to run out 60 miles around here to get them. ....Hope the Feds take notice and adjust accordingly.
    Huh? A 78 day season, based on no scientific reality, only means the fed will have to cut the federal season even more. With TX having a 365 day season, now FL with 78 (and AL and MS sure to follow in a similar vein), and LA managing to some "LA quota" that doesn't really exist, there won't be a federal season.

That's OK. The money I would have spent on a charter will now just pay for playing golf in more expensive courses.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaII View Post

That's OK. The money I would have spent on a charter will now just pay for playing golf in more expensive courses.
    So you won't spend money on a charter if federal rec season doesn't happen???

Earlier in the month you were telling us keeping fish had nothing to do with "the experience".

Did you not say?????? "I would still go. Its a fun day, if the weather is good. You catch some fish (the thrill is the bite and the fight, not the meal), and you have a good time with your friends that you can't otherwise enjoy as a non-boat owning recreational fisherman."

Come on now..........man up & walk it back .......like any good political policy hack would do.
    Last edited by CountryBumpkin; 04-21-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaII View Post
    Huh? A 78 day season, based on no scientific reality, only means the fed will have to cut the federal season even more. With TX having a 365 day season, now FL with 78 (and AL and MS sure to follow in a similar vein), and LA managing to some "LA quota" that doesn't really exist, there won't be a federal season.

Na come on Bubba were going to get at least 50 days this year, besides Golf Sucks. Give me a call and i will get you out.

The Charter Fishermans Association (a front group created and supported by The Environmental Defense Fund with hundreds of thousands of dollars) has pushed for Sector Separation and helped get it approved. Sector Separation divides the fish, taking fish away from the recreational allocation and giving it to the for-hire boats. This has resulted in our private rec seasons getting shorter and for-hire seasons getting longer. We will get probably 2 days in federal water this year while the for-hire will get over 50 - it's felony theft, in my opinion.

These fish belong to ALL Americans, but they prohibit SOME Americans from accessing them because of the TYPE of boat they fish from. It's like the government telling American citizens that although our federal dollars were used to create the interstate highways, if you own your own car you can only use the highways for 2 days per year. If you hire a taxi, you can use the highways 50 days per year. However, commercial trucks can use the highways 365 days/year. What's the difference here in our so-called federal fisheries management?

NONE, in my opinion.

The recent move for each state to manage it's own fisheries out to 200 miles can't happen soon enough - enough of the charade called The Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council/National Marine Fisheries Service/Environmental Defense Fund collusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post
    The Charter Fishermans Association (a front group created and supported by The Environmental Defense Fund with hundreds of thousands of dollars) has pushed for Sector Separation and helped get it approved. Sector Separation divides the fish, taking fish away from the recreational allocation and giving it to the for-hire boats. This has resulted in our private rec seasons getting shorter and for-hire seasons getting longer. We will get probably 2 days in federal water this year while the for-hire will get over 50 - it's felony theft, in my opinion.

These fish belong to ALL Americans, but they prohibit SOME Americans from accessing them because of the TYPE of boat they fish from. It's like the government telling American citizens that although our federal dollars were used to create the interstate highways, if you own your own car you can only use the highways for 2 days per year. If you hire a taxi, you can use the highways 50 days per year. However, commercial trucks can use the highways 365 days/year. What's the difference here in our so-called federal fisheries management?

NONE, in my opinion.

The recent move for each state to manage it's own fisheries out to 200 miles can't happen soon enough - enough of the charade called The Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council/National Marine Fisheries Service/Environmental Defense Fund collusion.

I wonder if the people that pushed for Amendment 30B separating the private recreational fishermen from the CFH recreational fishermen are proud of themselves. Yes you can not disagree that am 30b was the original sector separation can you not?

I can agree on that, yes. It needs to be abolished, and I have ALWAYS pushed for it to be abolished.

However, if it's abolished, y'all won't have anything to point to to blame for our truncated seasons and your extended seasons, now would you?

Crabtree said it when the Gulf Council voted to rescind 30B - without 30B, there could be no Sector Separation. The Gulf Council sent it to the Sec. of Commerce to rescind 30B, and the Sec. of Commerce refused.

Now, Crabtree is claiming we are supposedly getting 80% of our quota from state water landings. Seeing as how state waters comprise about 5% of the red snapper habitat and about 1% of the red snapper biomass, I find that EXTREMELY hard to believe. Either they are lying, incompetent, corrupt (all 3 is my guess), or their estimation of the biomass is completely off the mark (also my guess).

It's time to dismantle this corrupt, dyfunctional cartel called federal fisheries management and delegate the management of our fisheries (both recreational and commercial) to the states where the Constitution says it belongs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hilton View Post
    Crabtree said it when the Gulf Council voted to rescind 30B - without 30B, there could be no Sector Separation. The Gulf Council sent it to the Sec. of Commerce to rescind 30B, and the Sec. of Commerce refused.
    Whoa, bud. Lets not rewrite history here. The Council recalled their action to rescind 30B after a Federal judge said NMFS (and the Council) had not done sufficient effort to curtail catch (Guinden vs Pritzker), and needed to make sure the recs stayed within their quota. The rule never went anywhere; the Council recalled it because of teh judge's ruling.

April 14, 2014 Council minutes:

A motion was made to withdraw the framework action. Ms. Levy questioned whether an action could be withdrawn once it is submitted. Steven Atran recalled that the council had done this at least once before, but it was several years ago. It was suggested that even if the action could not be withdrawn, a vote to do so would inform the NMFS of the council’s current position.

By a vote of six to four, the committee recommends, and I so move, that the council withdraw the framework action that rescinds the Amendment 30B permit provision.

CHAIRMAN BOYD: We have a committee motion. Is there discussion on the motion?

[discussion]

CHAIRMAN BOYD: We’ve got a request for a roll call vote. Any further discussion and then we’re going to vote? Mr. Gregory.

[roll call vote]

EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR GREGORY: We have ten yes and six no and one abstention and the motion passes.

Country Bumpkin: yeah, I'd still go. In fact, I've never booked a charter during snapper season. I go when I want to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast