DEP,FWC and water management
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DEP,FWC and water management

Bad news..I found out this week DEP,FWC and water management just bought a giant piece of land east of Natural Bridge. It borders from the Natural Bridge state park to hwy 59 and from natural bridge road to tram road. Horne springs being in about the middle I guess. I used to go there to swim until it was leased. Anyway, looks like no more hunting anything there. Anytime DEP buys land, that's it, the hunting and fishing is over. that sucks! I used to hunt and fish the st. marks river between hwy 27 and tram road and south of tram road. DEP got that a few years back and closed it to hunting and fishing. That sucks. I guess in a way its good that it doesn't get sold to developers but sucks no one can hunt and fish on it anymore.

They bought it from the Mormon's per a guy at work. He lost his 3,000ac hunting lease because of this. Their section had Sally Branch, St Marks and another water way on it. Beautiful river swamp woods....
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

The Mormons are starting some big-time cattle operations on former St Joe Paper land. This must of been surplus or unusable for their purposes. Either that or a tax write off.
    "Fools will destroy what they can not control"

Me

I know they own most of Liberty county. That's what I heard...

It's at least a 12k section of contiguous land is what I was told.
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Quote Originally Posted by ferris1248 View Post
    The Mormons are starting some big-time cattle operations on former St Joe Paper land. This must of been surplus or unusable for their purposes. Either that or a tax write off.
    Talk of state buying the Franklin Co. Mormon land that was St Joe also.

Quote Originally Posted by CMB View Post
    Bad news..I found out this week DEP,FWC and water management just bought a giant piece of land east of Natural Bridge. It borders from the Natural Bridge state park to hwy 59 and from natural bridge road to tram road. Horne springs being in about the middle I guess. I used to go there to swim until it was leased. Anyway, looks like no more hunting anything there. Anytime DEP buys land, that's it, the hunting and fishing is over. that sucks! I used to hunt and fish the st. marks river between hwy 27 and tram road and south of tram road. DEP got that a few years back and closed it to hunting and fishing. That sucks. I guess in a way its good that it doesn't get sold to developers but sucks no one can hunt and fish on it anymore.

If it is added to the park then hunting could be shut down, eventually. However, much of what DEP buys for conservation purposes gets managed by the FWC and/or Forestry, and is open to hunting.

In fact, even under Recreation and Parks lead management, a lot of property gets multiple use, like hunting. I used to be in charge of those programs back in the day.

I don't know what is intended for this parcel, but you can easily find out by calling Hank Vinson at 850-245-2713. He will know.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks EJ.
    "Fools will destroy what they can not control"

Me

The deal is not final to date. The acreage has to be within 1% of the what they are claiming on the acreage that was for sale. It was supposed to be 11,000 Ac. FDEP will see if it fly's after the boundary survey is completed.

As far as the Mormon's (Deseret Ranches) goes. They purchased roughly 400,000 acres from St. Joe. This being most of what St. Joe had in Franklin, Gulf and surrounding counties. St. Joe retained most of the lands within 1 mile of the coastline and a few other specific areas, so they can develop in the future. Not sure what Deseret is going to do with many of the smaller tracts that are scattered about.

Deseret has owned and still does about 375,000 ac. in Eastern Orange, Osceola and Western Brevard County for as long as I can remember. If they do like they have done down state, it will be all agriculture with no development pending for quite a long time. It is amazing to ride SR 22 between Panama City and Wewa to see what they have already done. I have heard they are creating their headquarters, at least for West of the River on Jarrett Daniels Road, between CR 386 and SR 22. I would think they may be doing something over around St. Teresa for that big chunk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast