9wt or 10wt for beach

Florida Sportsman

9wt or 10wt for beach

I recently bought a 10wt for beach fishing in the summer probably only time other then mullet run ill use it so should i get a 9wt and sell 10wt?

Are you fishing from a boat or walking the beach?

from the beach from palm beach to broward

Walking the beach I have used 7-10wt. Really depends on what you what to throw. A 10wt may be a little big unless you are throwing at the 40" plus snook or tarpon. Generally the snook are 22"-36" which a 8wt would be more than enough. You don't have to horse fish on the beach. My biggest fish last year came on a 7wt. I'd say put together a combination that you are comfortable with throwing.

I would stick with the 10. It will help if you have shots at tarpon. I have seen people use 5wts for snook on the beach. I personally don't because 1 shark, tarpon or big jack and its either bye bye line or broken rod. The snook are also breeding so why not have a litte extra power to get them in faster

I'd go with an 8 wt.

I fish those beaches from Jupiter to Hobe Sound. An 8wt is all you need. I overline my rod with a 9 wt intermediate line. Most of the snook I catch are on the small side.

What other rod weights do you own? If none, keep the 10 and add an 8wt if you can afford it. Gives you more versatility vs trading the 10 for a 9. Any time I travel where there is fishing in the salt, 8 & 10 come with me.

Blind casting a 10wt with large flies will wear you out fast. I can throw 3-3.5" baitfish flies on my 8wt all day and still feel confident of landing good size fish in surf. My biggest fish on an 8wt was a 42" redfish on the flats wading.

Nothing wrong with a 10wt, if that's what conditions call for. Bigger rods are nice on ugly days, or when a 9" profile is all they're feeding on. I use a 7 when it's flattish, a 9 when it's not, and an 11 when I absolutely have to. I also have an 8' 10wt that I use for bait run stuff. I have Rio outbound short intermediate heads with braided mono running lines on all my beach rigs.