June trip captiva rod and reel advice - Page 2
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    There's a ton of good rods around 100-150. Can you handle any where you live? Maybe wait on the rod until you get down here and go check out a few local tackle shops and see what you like.
    Couple decent rods but by no means the best or silver bullet:
    Hurricane Redbone XH (less than $100)
    Shimano Terramar (can't remember the size)... usually around $150'ish
    Star Stellar Lite (again, can't remember the size)... usually around $150'ish
    And many, many others.
    Tarpon... everything else is just bait.
    2016 Tarpon Count: 61/209
    2017 Tarpon Count: 58/255
    Captain Keith Magnussen - Crooked Rod Charters

Probably go with the Redbone and make the combo the best bang for the buck since I wont use it a ton. Or i will buck the system and get a lexa 400 hd and start muskie fishing.

When you get down here make a trip to Lehr's in North Fort Myers and buy your setup here. They will get you going right away and you can worry about shipping it home when you're done.

FYI.. that bay side sea wall at the end of Captiva is loaded with snook at slack tide during that time of year.

Thanks JohnAB for the tip! Still have a hard time with the tides so any help is great. I planned on hitting redfish pass a ton and the beach sight fishing in the morning. Just something about sight fishing and walking that beach that calms the soul till a big snook hits. I was hoping to use this combo to cast bigger swim baits in case a rogue tarpon was around. I will check out Lehr's but I most likely would want to use it up here first. Put some braid on it and tie it to my 13 year old son and tell him to start running lol plus I may fish the damn at Lake Cumberland for some stripers or try my hand at Muskies before June.

The lexa 400 will work just fine for large baits or lures. Most salt water guys in Florida are scared to death of the evil bait caster. I use mine for large live pinfish and big chunks of cut bait. It will cast a mile and then some. Put 30 pound spider wire on it and lock the drag down. You can put a hurtin on a big redfish or snook with that set up.

What rod do you have it paired with?

7 foot ugly stick. Medium heavy.

Went with a Lexa 400 hd with a 9ft MH 2pc tackle industries muskie rod. Also bought a BG5000 and still have yet to find rod for it. Trying to find a 9ft 2pc that will work for me.

I'm actually heading down this Thursday from Palm Coast up in Northeast Florida. I've had good luck in the past with the beach snook but would like some advice on the beach Tarpon. Any tips on putting out bait for the beach tarpon? I've got the equipment to handle the tarpon just not sure what setup/bait might give be the best option for hooking up. Thanks in advance for any information.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast