Cayo Costa Fishing - Page 3
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just returned from spending Easter week in Pine Island. Made it out to Cayo Costa on Thursday and the entire East side was awash in red algae. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by 1simplemann View Post
    This is a lot further walk than i originally thought. I was led to believe that it was a 20 minute walk .Where does the tram driver take you? Obviously never been there so I familiar with the details. Thanks
    The tram picks you up on the hour at the ranger station/marina. It goes due west on the tram road to the campgrounds (about a mile), then it makes a loop thru the cabins. Now that I think about it, it must leave at 10 minutes to the hour and arrives at the campgrounds on the hour. There's a trail thru the campgrounds that will take you to the north end of the lagoon.
    It probably is a 20 minute walk from the marina to the campgrounds, but at least another 20-30 minutes from there to the lagoon cut. The lagoon's about a mile long.
    So, a mile from the docks to the campgrounds, another mile to the cut in the lagoon.

That sucks. I spent a couple nights in Bokeelia before going over to CC about Thanksgiving time. The second morning I woke up and there were 50 dead fish on the boat ramp. Jeez. We were lucky though once we got to CC, hardly any evidence of it.

Here's another idea, if you don't mind being separated from your wife's shelling. Just stay at the marina, rent a kayak, and fish Pelican Bay. There are mangroves to the south, Punta Blanca to the east, and a small lagoon to the north.

Here's a little update. If your gonna try to fish this place seriously, give yourself time. I only fished for an hour maybe 1 1/2 hr tops. Boat got there at 11am. Tram drops you off at the north end of the lagoon at 11:15. The tram driver said be at the pick up spot at 2pm. The boat picks you up at 3pm so I lost time right off the bat. She was late BTW and ran also 2 trips so we could've taken the later one but she didn't mention that when she dropped us off. So We take off for the cut which is easily 1/2 hr walk so we got there 11:45 ish. I fished the cut basically at slack tide. No bites. Moved into the lagoon and waded a big sand bar casting into the deeper water. No bites. The whole lagoon looks VERY fishy. Wrong tide for fishing but good tide for shelling. Wife was happy. She got some very interesting shells in a short period of time. All in all an interesting day but we were kinda herded like cattle with deadlines to meet. We started walking back at 1pm ish. I fished the Gulf on the way. Nothing bit. We got to the pick up spot at 12:50 pm. We sat till 1:10pm so we lost 20 minutes there. We got to the dock by 2:20 and sat there til 3pm so we lost 40 minutes there. For the short period of time we were on the Island most of it was spent sitting on a tram or a bench waiting. Not enough time to actually explore. Beautiful place though. The lagoon would be ideal with a yak IMO. Very fishy looking! If i were to do it over again Id rent a bike and be on my schedule or preferably rent a cabin or house on the island and spend some time there exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by 1simplemann View Post
    ...... If i were to do it over again Id rent a bike and be on my schedule or preferably rent a cabin or house on the island and spend some time there exploring.
    Exactly! You were trying to cram 2# of runny fudge into a 1# box. Get the cabin for 2-3 nights. Check the weather so you don't fry, take lots of bug spray. I packed my travel rod into a backpack, rented a bike, and fished the entire north end. Now you've been there and know what to expect and can get things done at your own pace. And you haven't even seen what the best part of CC is....when the daytrippers leave at 3:00 and you've got that island all to yourself. The last time I fished that cut, I didn't see another human being for 2 hours.

PM me if you want. I've spent about 2 weeks in that park and it sounds like we have the same interests.
    Last edited by dcr; 04-30-2017 at 10:33 AM.

will do. Unfortunately it's going to be at least another year before we get down there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123