Cayo Costa Fishing - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Just returned from spending Easter week in Pine Island. Made it out to Cayo Costa on Thursday and the entire East side was awash in red algae. FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by 1simplemann View Post
    This is a lot further walk than i originally thought. I was led to believe that it was a 20 minute walk .Where does the tram driver take you? Obviously never been there so I familiar with the details. Thanks
    The tram picks you up on the hour at the ranger station/marina. It goes due west on the tram road to the campgrounds (about a mile), then it makes a loop thru the cabins. Now that I think about it, it must leave at 10 minutes to the hour and arrives at the campgrounds on the hour. There's a trail thru the campgrounds that will take you to the north end of the lagoon.
    It probably is a 20 minute walk from the marina to the campgrounds, but at least another 20-30 minutes from there to the lagoon cut. The lagoon's about a mile long.
    So, a mile from the docks to the campgrounds, another mile to the cut in the lagoon.

That sucks. I spent a couple nights in Bokeelia before going over to CC about Thanksgiving time. The second morning I woke up and there were 50 dead fish on the boat ramp. Jeez. We were lucky though once we got to CC, hardly any evidence of it.

Here's another idea, if you don't mind being separated from your wife's shelling. Just stay at the marina, rent a kayak, and fish Pelican Bay. There are mangroves to the south, Punta Blanca to the east, and a small lagoon to the north.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123