Opening morning bird

Florida Sportsman

Opening morning bird

One gobbler flew 300 yards from the swamp at 7:10 and the second flew down with a handful of hens about 10 yards from me at 7:15. I had to turn to the right to shoot, but a hen was close to me, so I waited until the gobbler started to walk away. When he did, the hen turned to follow him, I swung slowly to the right and took him at about 30 yards. Time was about 7:20 or so.

I never turkey hunt this particular area, but I have hunted deer there off and on for 20 years. So I know the land layout well. Usually there are turkeys in the area in the fall, but hardly any in the spring. Fresh burns have brought them back.

10.25" beard, 1.5/1.0" spur, and 18.5 lbs. Very nice public land bird to start the season. Second spur had the tip broken and worn down.
    IMG_2322_red25.jpg

Congrats on a great bird.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone_Fishing View Post
    One gobbler flew 300 yards from the swamp at 7:10 and the second flew down with a handful of hens about 10 yards from me at 7:15. I had to turn to the right to shoot, but a hen was close to me, so I waited until the gobbler started to walk away. When he did, the hen turned to follow him, I swung slowly to the right and took him at about 30 yards. Time was about 7:20 or so.

I never turkey hunt this particular area, but I have hunted deer there off and on for 20 years. So I know the land layout well. Usually there are turkeys in the area in the fall, but hardly any in the spring. Fresh burns have brought them back.

10.25" beard, 1.5/1.0" spur, and 18.5 lbs. Very nice public land bird to start the season. Second spur had the tip broken and worn down.
    IMG_2322_red25.jpg
    Nice job. You need to change your handle.😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Mac View Post
    Nice job. You need to change your handle.��
    Then I would have to use the forum name Gone Fishing Hunting Diving Surfing

Congrats on a nice bird!

Nice job!

Congrats and if its where I think it was right next to me . Made me jump out my skin lol
    living life as i like