Using mustard as an adhesive to coat fish destined to fry

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Using mustard as an adhesive to coat fish destined to fry

Im sure it is old news to some but I didnt have eggs, so I have coated fish pieces in yellow mustard(as adhesive) and rolled in crushed Ritz crackers and pepper.

The mustard worked very well as the crackers stuck beautifully and stayed on during the frying.

I am not a big yellow mustard guy but most the flavor cooks out and leaves a little tang.

I also did it with Mayo and that worked as an adhesive as well.
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!

Tried the mustard on fish once and did not like it at all. I use it on Butts however.

Also tried the Ritz crackers and they about ruin the fish in my book.

The best I have found is corn flakes - crush them up fine. The leave a very nice texture and a pleasant taste that compliments the fish ... not like the Ritz.

I use a seasoned flour (salt, pepper and a dash of garlic). Dip the fish in the season flour, then in an egg wash and then in the corn flake crumbs. Fry it ... PDG.

If for some reason I didn't have the egg I would wait until I did. Good fish is hard to come by and dammed expensive too. Eat a cheap Rib Eye instead until you can score the eggs.
    Port Charlotte, Florida

Never tried mustard to coat fish, but use it in butts and other things, never though I could taste it. As for bread crumbs. I use mostly panko breading, you can now get it isn flavors like Italian etc. Tried the corn flakes and other cereals they were just for our taste.

I lke mayonaise or egg and yes miracle whip as the base.

Banned
    Living on the edge...........of the water
    ...a little milk...a little mayo....a little egg.....a bone dry filet....some flower with salt and pepper.....a dunk in the liquid....a dunk in the flower...a ten minute sit....another dunk in the liquid....then a dunk in bread crumbs...

get out a cookie sheer(s)....put wax paper on them...put the filets on them and into the freezer.....

....after they are frozen...you can fry them in hot oil.....

If you want to have some ready for the future...fry them until the breading is crusted and remove and allow to cool...then re-freeze and you can finish cooking them in the oven without all the mess all over again.....still great...

Always do the mayo thing on fish. Mustard on butts and ribs.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Quote Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
    Tried the mustard on fish once and did not like it at all. I use it on Butts however.

Also tried the Ritz crackers and they about ruin the fish in my book.

The best I have found is corn flakes - crush them up fine. The leave a very nice texture and a pleasant taste that compliments the fish ... not like the Ritz.

I use a seasoned flour (salt, pepper and a dash of garlic). Dip the fish in the season flour, then in an egg wash and then in the corn flake crumbs. Fry it ... PDG.

If for some reason I didn't have the egg I would wait until I did. Good fish is hard to come by and dammed expensive too. Eat a cheap Rib Eye instead until you can score the eggs.
    What didnt you like about Ritz, too salty or just too much extra? I will def try the corn flakes, thanks!
    Make the forum great again.....consolidate general fishing with for sale or business but keep reports separate!

We prefer the Panko Japanese bread crumbs. Very nice

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Try coating in French dressing , roll in cheese nip crumbs , 500degree oven on greased cookie sheet.

Sounds weird but works.
    "You'll get your weather"

Quote Originally Posted by capt louie View Post
    Try coating in French dressing , roll in cheese nip crumbs , 500degree oven on greased cookie sheet.

Sounds weird but works.
    Tried that once. On tilapia the kids shot in Salt Springs Run. It did mask the slight taste of Lake George bottom that mullet and tilapia can acquire.

I like an egg wash and cracker meal dredge for all fried fish. Just a little salt, no flavored coatings. Small amount of oil. Yum.
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

ps - have used mustard for chicken and rabbit - delicious!
    I find my peace out on the sand...Beside the sea, not beyond or behind. R.A. Britt

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=344&dateline=13073685  84

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast