Tarpon 120- Rigging opinions and questions

Florida Sportsman

Tarpon 120- Rigging opinions and questions

I just bought a rarely used 2010 Tarpon 120 and itís a blank slate, I need to rig it up for fishing. I've been doing a lot of research and decided to take it slow with loading it up with options and mods but want holders and an anchor trolley right away.

Rod Holders:

I was thinking of using the Scotty Gearhead Combo (pic 1) with a flush mount base on the center console. I want the extender on the base so I can move the rod holder closer to me as I'm seated since I have short arms.

Behind the seat I want to add 2 rod holders. I was thinking of using the elevated base (pic 2) with the mini extender (pic 3) and the standard rod holder (pic 4). With this set up it will elevate the rods about 6 inches above the deck to keep the reels away from the splash zone.

Am I over thinking this or will these set ups work?

How would you set up a new kayak with rod holders? Any suggestions and comments are appreciated

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-scotty -mini-extender.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	9729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-Scotty-elevateddeck mount.jpg 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	9728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Scotty-Gearheadcombo.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	8.2 KB 
ID:	9727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-Scotty-rodholderNObase.jpg 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	9730
    PJ

For the front it's fine but for the rear it's too much.. What I did for the rear instead was add the mount and extension
    arm to the top of my milk creat. Kept everything hi and dry.. U can see it if u go to show ur catch sticky in the member catch section. . 1 st post 3rd pic.
    Last edited by Pottymouth; 11-08-2011 at 04:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pottymouth View Post
    For the front it's fine but for the rear it's too much.. What I did for the rear instead was add the mount and extension
    arm to the top of my milk creat. Kept everything hi and dry.. U can see it if u go to show ur catch sticky in the member catch section. . 1 st post 3rd pic.
    Thanks for the input Potty!

The rod holder set ups will be different in the rear compared to the front. With the set up I described in the orginal post the rear rod holders and or reels would be just over 6 inches off the deck. I don't plan on using a crate (yet) but am curious as to how high your rod holder set up is on your crate? From the pic on the other post it seems your crate set up makes the rods much hgher than 6 inches.

What would you recommend for the rear rod holder set up if I'm not using a crate?

From your pics in the other post you seem like the right guy to ask. Nice catches!!!

Thanks

PJ

I use Scotty holders for the front and back of all my kayaks. I like the fact that I can lock down the rods and change the angel of the rods. I will put the rod low when paddling under mangroves or under a small bridge. The set up you picked will work well. We all have our ways to set up our kayaks and they all work.