02/28/2017 Mixed bag on near shore reef.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

02/28/2017 Mixed bag on near shore reef.

A new arrival Ron at the marina here for his seasonal stay had some boat issues. So it was the two of us looking to box some sheepsheads. Off to the usual reef a lot more choppy than predicted so whats new after doing the usual bottom search and anchor tries we set up right on top in no time 3 in the box the anchor lets loose and we are off the spot and the bite is more challenging. We see surface action all around us chasing bait pods. Our no. 2 hooks and light leaders baited with shrimp are easy meals for the Spanish. One unlucky has the hook right in the corner of his mouth, he is coming home with us i hope. You never know on light gear,but it is fun. Then Ron is hooked up to a real screamer that had him running all around the boat too many times to count,under the anchor line over the anchor line, near the boat multiple times. Finally we see color it is a Cobia he's barely hooked with the no. 2 circle hook in the corner of his mouth. Got him in the boat , he was just over 30 inches nice fight but back he goes,it was fun.
    DSCF0442.jpg

The near shore reefs are a short ride and can be a rod bending mixed bag.
    Catch some and post a report.
    larrywitt

Quote Originally Posted by larrywitt View Post
    A new arrival Ron at the marina here for his seasonal stay had some boat issues. So it was the two of us looking to box some sheepsheads. Off to the usual reef a lot more choppy than predicted so whats new after doing the usual bottom search and anchor tries we set up right on top in no time 3 in the box the anchor lets loose and we are off the spot and the bite is more challenging. We see surface action all around us chasing bait pods. Our no. 2 hooks and light leaders baited with shrimp are easy meals for the Spanish. One unlucky has the hook right in the corner of his mouth, he is coming home with us i hope. You never know on light gear,but it is fun. Then Ron is hooked up to a real screamer that had him running all around the boat too many times to count,under the anchor line over the anchor line, near the boat multiple times. Finally we see color it is a Cobia he's barely hooked with the no. 2 circle hook in the corner of his mouth. Got him in the boat , he was just over 30 inches nice fight but back he goes,it was fun.
    DSCF0442.jpg

The near shore reefs are a short ride and can be a rod bending mixed bag.
    Catch some and post a report.
    larrywitt
    One more pictureDSCF0445 (800x600).jpg

Thanks for the report. It reminds me I don't always have to go 30 miles+ to get into fish. I skip those near shore reefs but you always seem to do well enough to remind me to hit them from time to time. Probably more challenging then the deeper ones due to pressure but you rise to the challenge!!! Nice work.

Way to go Larry. Inshore reefs in my neighborhood have been producing nicely the last few weeks. We finally saw some 71 degree water today.
    Capt. Gabe Kovacs 1600 ton Master

Way to go larry

Nice catch!

Excellent report, thanks for sharing.

Nice job Larry. I'm jealous, it has been a blizzard up here in Wisconsin.

Quote Originally Posted by RMD View Post
    Nice job Larry. I'm jealous, it has been a blizzard up here in Wisconsin.
    We broke or tied the record high on the day we were out, 89 degrees. Some of your cold air would have felt real nice.
    larrywitt