Where's your favorite water - Page 3

Florida Sportsman

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Personally, I'm fine with Mosquito lagoon. I just wish I could get out more often.
    Sight-fishing reds in scary-skinny water still thrills me like no other type of fishing.
    IMHO redfish can be just as spooky and difficult as Islamorada bones, or as easy as crappie in a pond.
    Like DOC, as long as I can get away every once in a while I'm good.

That said, if I were young and possessed, the keys would certainly be on my shortlist.

This was a few years ago but maybe some of you guys can recall who I'm talking about.

The first time I ever walked into HG Fly Shop I came in, grabbed a bunch of stuff, and probably dropped half a dozen mirrolures next to the register and got to talking a little bit with the guy at the counter. Young guy, its been so long I can only guess he was probably late twenties and short brown hair. Anyway what I will never forget is that after a minute or two he started talking about fly fishing and some trips he'd been on. This was before I had ever picked up a fly rod and so I really couldnt relate when he was talking about this "flyfishing" thing that he was so passionate about. He said something to the effect of...

"My mom tells me she'd rather I be addicted to drugs. It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper."

6 months later and I've got more than enough hand tied flies than I know what to do with, and enough fly fishing gear that nobody had to wonder if I was on drugs. I couldnt afford it if I tried.
    So yeah. I'm young, and surely possessed in some way or another. As far as Seattle goes... Im still not entirely sure if thats where I'll be but I guess thats one of the best parts of the adventure. Though I have upped my coffee/tea consumption to atleast 1 per day to make for a smooth transition into the coffee consumption capital of the country.

To do it right you need to visit/live in several places. There are peak seasons you know.
    Saltwater- The Keys or the Everglades, maybe the Bahamas
    Trout- Montana, Chile or Argentina
    Salmon- Alaska

Living in South Florida most of my life I was very suprised to find the best fishing was in Pensacola, Fl. The shallow bay holds tons of reds, flounder, trout and some stripers. The deep bay is so deep it holds offshore fish like red snapper, huge redfish (winter), grouper and kings. Just off the beach (on a boat) in the spring the cobia run is just stupid. Last time out we hooked 18 in a day. The pompano run is awesome also. You can get into schools of thousands between the bars. Offshore is second to none in the lower 48. You can get a permit for a private reef. Bottom fishing you have grouper, red snapper, mingo snapper, triggers and so on. The blue water is far but since it is it's loaded with everything caught in south florida. It's a great place to raise your kids (Gulf Breeze) and you can own a home for 1/2 of south florida cost. Almost no crime. The kids there are mostly military kids so you don't find a lot of bad ones. I really did love it there.

Other than that I could live the rest of my life near the Davidson River in NC but the wife is a city girl....

FL Keys are my favorite, but as you have already lived in FL, I would try something different.

I am originally from NJ and have always loved fishing in the Northeast (NJ up through New England). There is some great fishing up in those parts. Mostly stripers and blues, but they get WAY bigger than you see them down south. Stripers can reach 50# and I have caught bluefish close to 20#. Awesome fight on a fly rod. There are a lot of neat little towns up that way - really salty/nautical. If it wasn't for the winters, I would have never moved.

Another option is to go out west. If you have never been to the Rocky's, it is something you should experience. Just awesome country. Probably would go to Montana (maybe Wyoming or Colorado). Great trout fishing. If you have never gone trout fishing, it is a totally different experience than saltwater. Definitely worth a try.

I just moved from Sherwood Oregon, SW of Portland.
    Bring Gore-Tex and lots of it. The fishing is slow, at least within a 2hrs drive from the Portland Metro area. You only get about 2-3 months of nice weather west of the Cascades. If you like the sun, look into eastern Washington-Oregon. Also southern Oregon is very nice near the California border. Best of luck on your adventure. It is a beautiful part of the country when it's not raining.

I just moved from Sherwood Oregon, SW of Portland.
    Bring Gore-Tex and lots of it. The fishing is slow, at least within a 2hrs drive from the Portland Metro area. You only get about 2-3 months of nice weather west of the Cascades. If you like the sun, look into eastern Washington-Oregon. Also southern Oregon is very nice near the California border. Best of luck on your adventure. It is a beautiful part of the country when it's not raining.

Yakman, I know theres a ton of waterways in and around Seattle but how much of it is wadeable?

Quote Originally Posted by DowntownNash View Post
    Yakman, I know theres a ton of waterways in and around Seattle but how much of it is wadeable?
    There is lots of wadable water. You'll be in Spey country though. From down town Seattle in a three hour radius you have the Green, Snoqualmie (3 sections), Skykomish, Snohomish, Duwamish, Puyallap, and dozens of others. They all have different flows and some days when it's pouring rain you'll sit in a bar, drink a beer and wait for the rivers to get back in their banks. A drift boat and a partner to take turns on the oars would come in very handy. I kayaked these rivers and western WA is the Yosemite Valley of White water boating. Swift water everywhere you look. There will be plenty of wading.

Can't say how many fish.

I'm having trouble finding good info on Seattle Fly fishing so thanks for that mtd. I'm trying to see if Id be able to bike to any of the wadeable areas. Do I have worthwhile options within 20 miles of downtown?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast