What kind of waders?

Florida Sportsman

What kind of waders?

I am new to fly fishing and I have a boat...but not a flats/shallow water. Its a 16ft bay style cc. Its a great boat...but I almost think I would be better off wading. With that said...what kind of waders do yall use? I have never worn or looked at any so I would not know where to begin.

Should I get some with liners for the feet? I plan to use diving style boots with shin guards for rays. I would say my budget would be 200 max. I know there are some expensive fly fishing style setups that are 500 and up, that would be great...but to expensive.

I searched the net...found a lot of gear but no real good reviews. If you have an opinion about a good set of chest waders please let me know. thanks.

BTW,,,I would be fishing the ML and IRL near Titusville/cocoa area...if that helps. Thanks.

Look in the Angler On Foot section, and a couple pages back in one of the Fly Fishing sections for recent threads about waders.

You'll get a lot of opinions on gear, it always comes down to whether it works for you or not. And nobody can answer that. Go and look at different models in a fly shop. Make sure that if you get mandals (man-sandals) you MUST get a good pair with reinforced straps going over your foot. You're going to get stuck in some mud.

I am a life long steelhead fisherman who happens to fish the Mosquito lagoon and IRL. Just get a pair of 3 MM rubber waders or a go a little more $$ and get a pair of Hodgman breathable for $129 . If you need some warmth with the breathables, add a fleece jogging pant inside. I use my Hodgman breathables ALL THE TIME AND just adjust for tempeature by adding a fleece trouser.

X2 on the breathable waders. I have a pair of Cabelas Premium Dry Plus waders that are pretty decent at $150. I wear a pair of old tennis shoes with them.

Breathable waders are better for Florida than Neoprene. Neoprene gets to hot most of the time. I use Cabelas Premium Dry Plus waders also and have used the same pair for about 8 years. Get the sockfoot waders and wear some type of wading shoe over them. Remember, you will have to upsize your shoe one size to make room for the neoprene sockfoot.

Sierra Trading Post has some good buys of waders occasionally. Make sure you read the reviews before you order. Some are not a good as others.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/waders~d~243/

Well I ordered some. Thanks fire all threw input. I ordered some Simms stockingfoots for $99.00 . Not bad for Simms. At a hundred dollars I couldn't pass it up. I'll let yall know how they do. Now for footwear...i am thinking about some cheapo shoes at walmart.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

You'll soon find that you don't need waders here. Some affordable booties are all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost View Post
    You'll soon find that you don't need waders here. Some affordable booties are all you need.
    If you're wading from March until early November, Ghost is spot on... But your balls will be as blue as the tip of a redfish's tail if you try to wade without waders in the winter months... Ghost... You're more than welcome to join me for a fly fishing trip on a cold December / January negative low tide day in Florida if you don't agree...

Most of the advice here is "dead on".. Get a pair of breathable waders and layer your clothing underneath. Sometimes shorts are fine, but there are times when the lined jogging pants are the ticket.