PC editing software for GoPro

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PC editing software for GoPro

I got this GoPro Hero2 a few days ago and started palying with it today. Set it up, shot a couple of videos. First video was a short 1-2 min clip in 1080 around the house. Loaded it in MovieMaker did a bit of editing, uploaded to YouTube - no problem. The raw file size of this first video was 128MB before edits. It took a few minutes for MovieMaker to "prepare" it before I could start working on it.

Then I stuck the GoPro on a suction cup mount onto my Jeep's windshield and drove around town. I took an 8-minute video in 1080. File size is about 700 MB. It's taking MovieMaker an awefully long time to prepare it. It's not stuck, it's working, but it's slooooooow. Got a quad-core machine with 16 GB RAM - so it's not your (or mine) grandpa's IBM - but still....

What besides MovieMaker do you PC guys use for editing? AND does it "prepare" big files pretty quickly so you can start hacking at them? I remember someone here uses AVS4YOU. How does that handle big files??

BTW - this GoPro is sweet. I love the fact that you can rotate the recording so that for example if you've got the camera mounted upside down on the bottom of your t-top, you won't have to go through the trouble of flippping the recorded video with editing software.

Hey Paul,

Oh man... I can tell you that the first time I tried to SAVE the video using Windows Live Movie Maker, it took forever. For a 7 minute video, it can take slightly over an hour.

I am using the top of the line I7 Intel computer with 12 GB ddr3 ram and a 1.5 TB hard drive.

It can be just as slow at times uploading to YouTube depending on how busy their site is.

Some guys are using a MAC program on their Mac Computers ( I have a Mac laptop but upgrading shortly so I will be trying that program as well).

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Quote Originally Posted by Plane Fish n View Post
    Hey Paul,

Oh man... I can tell you that the first time I tried to SAVE the video using Windows Live Movie Maker, it took forever. For a 7 minute video, it can take slightly over an hour.

I am using the top of the line I7 Intel computer with 12 GB ddr3 ram and a 1.5 TB hard drive.

It can be just as slow at times uploading to YouTube depending on how busy their site is.

Some guys are using a MAC program on their Mac Computers ( I have a Mac laptop but upgrading shortly so I will be trying that program as well).

I hope this helps.

Cheers
    Thx Eric - I got the part about saving and uploading the finished work can take a bit of time....

But does it normally take a long time for MovieMaker to do its thing before you can start editing the clip?

For those that use other software besides MM, can you normally start working pretty quickly on a 10-min 1080 clip that's let's say about 1GB??

Hey Paul,

Yeah, I have no problem actually uploading the video to Movie Maker which then enables me to start editing if that is what you are talking about.

I shoot mine and edit in 1080 and it is like instantaneous when I open Movie Maker and click on upload. I then see all the clips and I just double click on them and Poof.. they are in Movie Maker ready for editing.

If I'm still not getting what you are saying.. I'm going to defer to the rest of the forum.

Good luck.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

You got it!!!!!! Thanks.

Plane Fish n... I used iMovie'11 on my Mac for my recent video.

Paul... Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of video editors for Windows PCs. Best bet is to search online especially on forums dedicated to GoPro users.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

Thanks guys.
    The software itself is pretty easy to use, and as expected it would take a bit of time to render the final video post edits and upload to YT. The only hiccup I was having is that once I import the raw video into MM for editing, it would take a pretty long time before I could start manipulating the video.

Here's a boring clip I put together - I had gone to Best Buy in Boynton to pick up a suction cup mount, so I tested it on the way back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Buck View Post
    Plane Fish n... I used iMovie'11 on my Mac for my recent video.
    Thanks Buck,

I'm going to definitely get a copy of that on my new Mac.

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

You can try converting them to .mov files and work on the compression. The compression settings are key to file size.

It is kind of off topic but has anyone done editing with their ipad or other type of tablet? I know it will not have as many features but i just want to make basic vidoes if i get a GoPro.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast