6-18-2011 BBQ shoulders

Florida Sportsman

6-18-2011 BBQ shoulders

Smoker is workin'....

Rubbed two butts down last night with a mix of garlic powder, pepper, sea salt, oregano, dried parsley, onion powder, home grown Thai and Japeleno peppers that had been smoked and dried, paprika, cumin, and celery seed. I think I need to dry my peppers even more, the mortar and pestle had a had time grinding them up.

The butts hit the racks in the slightly altered Brinkman at 0745 with kingsford and mesquite chunks. Now at 0820 I'm sitting at 226* at the top grate and 59* internal in the larger of the two butts. Total weight is about 17 lbs.

At 0945 I'm around 240* at the grate and have made it to 101* internal.
    Last edited by bmoody; 06-18-2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Q-view added with updates

Looks like a very nice work in progress.
    Hey, you're right down in Jupiter, I'll be there 'bout 5.

My Smoking efforts today, a picnic ham and a whole pork tenderloin. Half of the loin is seasoned with Jerk seasoning the other half is KC rub and bacon.

Three and a half hours into the smoke:

I took the loins off when they were 155 internal and foiled them. They are resting wrapped in towels waiting for supper time.
    The picnic is still cooking.

Dayum Phill, that looks GREAT!
    Sometimes life is just a s#!t flavored popsicle. Carl Hiaasen

Good job both of you.

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

I'd like to know how the jerk seasoning does in the smoker. I've thought about doing that myself.

I finally foiled those butts slightly north of 165, and they went another couple-three hours with smoker temps ranging 230-260. I pulled them between 190-195 internal on the bigger one at about 1800, toweled and into a cooler to rest. So about a 10 hour cook -- longer than I was expecting. After an hour rest, I transformed the larger one with a couple of forks, and the crew started enjoying pulled pork. The second smaller one got pulled about 30 minutes later. No pictures, but in the end the leftovers only filled one and a half quart size ziplock bags.

The smaller one was actually harder to pull/shred -- that I really wasn't expecting. I judged everything off the larger one, so I had thought the internal on the smaller would have been higher. I didn't have a hard plateau, but there was a long period of slower temp rise. Goes to show that each one is different.

Any chance having two butts in the smoker slowed things down? I would have thought one or two shouldn't matter, at least not much. However 10 hours versus my past 7.5-9 for a butt is significant.

The Jerk seasoning was OK but next time I'll add jerk to the marinade. That will be better. Everyone liked it but I think it could have been jerkier.