New to the forum and Florida.
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

New to the forum and Palm Beach area.

Hi all,
    My girlfriend just moved down to the Palm Beach area a couple months ago and subsequently I'll be frequenting the area as well until I move down there in several month as well. I grew up surf fishing on Long Island and lived in Rhode Island for a very long time so I'm no stranger to the surf.

I was down in the Palm area the last two-ish weeks of December and after much research had thought I had a good idea of where to go but in actuality didn't do very well at all. I couldn't really find any spots in palm beach itself that I could get access to, to fish so I headed up to Jupiter on the days I actually got to fish. I fished the inlet mostly, on the south side jetty and spent a day on McArthur beach and a day on peanut island. Didn't catch anything at the inlet the days I was there, got blown out mostly but had one good weather day. Caught a couple small fish, sail cat and I think a juvie drum at McArthur and a small barracuda on Peanut Island. Most of the time I was at the inlet I got blown out by 20 knot winds. I couldn't hold bottom with the wind or really cast anything but metal and tins.

Anyway, after talking to my brother who used to live that way, he told me not to bother fishing the beaches. He said they don't have much structure like the beaches in the NE do and are really only good if you want to shark fish, which I do, but also want some pomps. He said the intercoastal areas are where to go for more consistent fishing. Currently I have a 9ft okuma longitude spooled up with 40lb braid. A 7ft ugly stick with 40lb braid. And a little ultralight with 20lb braid. I also have a 10ft rod, but it's garbage and has no backbone, I don't really like to use it. I was using clam, shrimp and sand fleas on pompano rigs on the 9ft. And was using the ugly stick to throw yozuri crystal minnows and the like as wells as metal and tins.

After all this background info, my question is this, what is ya'lls advice? I want to catch fish I can eat, and maybe some jacks as well. Where are some good inter coastal spots I can access easily? I'm going to be down there again this weekend and am planning on going a party boat to do some drift fishing with a buddy of mine who is in the area too.
    Thanks for advice!
    Last edited by Wandering1; 01-09-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Juno Pier? https://www.facebook.com/junobeachpier/

That's where I'd start.
    Instagram: Bi0ticOutdoors

Quote Originally Posted by Bi0tic View Post
    Juno Pier? https://www.facebook.com/junobeachpier/

That's where I'd start.
    Yeah, I was trying to avoid the piers, but it may look like that is my best option right now. I prefer to be on the shore where I can wade in and fish if possible, but the piers seem to hold a decent amount of fish. Thanks!

The beaches are fine, especially this time of year. The problem is your pompano rod is probably a little too short. Generally speaking (and this changes from area to area) the bar you want to be fishing for pomps is anywhere from 75 to 150 feet offshore. You need a rod and enough weight (and no wind blowing 30 mph in your face) to be able to get out that far. That's why you see most of the people fishing from shore with 12- and 13-foot rods. Braided line will help get the bait out there, as well.

Good luck!

Senior Member former bluefishinny's Avatar
    you can try wade fishing MacArthur Park. Not too too reliable. But I have got decent trout there, SAW a nice red laid up, caught jacks/snook/cuda. Or you can drive North to the IRL and wade Jensen Beach / Stuart area.

Oh wow, I figured the 9ft would be plenty long enough, guess not. I can hit like 100ft with 4oz plus bait, but on anything but a calm day that isn't enough to hold bottom, I gotta try some of those crazy surf weights you Floridians have. I'm probably gonna try the Juno pier on Saturday morning and maybe go back into MacArthur in the afternoon and cast around, maybe bring my fly rod too. Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful!

Senior Member former bluefishinny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering1 View Post
    Oh wow, I figured the 9ft would be plenty long enough, guess not. I can hit like 100ft with 4oz plus bait, but on anything but a calm day that isn't enough to hold bottom, I gotta try some of those crazy surf weights you Floridians have. I'm probably gonna try the Juno pier on Saturday morning and maybe go back into MacArthur in the afternoon and cast around, maybe bring my fly rod too. Thanks for the advice everyone, very helpful!
    Just make sure you have a tide... MacArthur park. U want water on the flat.