Return of the Guam fishing report! - Page 2

Florida Sportsman

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 001 View Post
    My buddy told me that I should honeymoon in Guam. Looks like a good idea.
    Not if she doesn't like tree snakes..

http://www.fort.usgs.gov/resources/e...on/history.asp

Back in the 70'sand 80's we used to walk around at night and these suckers were everywhere.

Hopefully they have cleaned them up a bit..

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Sebastian, Kissimmee, Saint Cloud, Louisiana, All Over
    Colorado it is.

The snakes are a non-issue. Makes for something cool to talk about. There are people that have lived here their whole lives and never seen a Brown Tree Snake. Its like saying I'm not going to Louisana becuase there are alligators there and you're afraid one might get you.
    "KULEANA"
    2008 Worldcat 270TE W/T225 Hondas

Quote Originally Posted by Night Moves View Post
    The snakes are a non-issue. Makes for something cool to talk about. There are people that have lived here their whole lives and never seen a Brown Tree Snake. Its like saying I'm not going to Louisana becuase there are alligators there and you're afraid one might get you.

hahahahaha.....

Jon,

Back in 1974 I was on Guam and remember walking from the Intercontinental Hotel where we were put up. There was a group of 5.

Next thing I know, this Seabee is almost in my arms cause a snake was crossing right in front of him.

Ever since then, we made it a point to look for them .. and at that time.. they were like all around.

Glad it isn't an issue anymore.

Hey .. one question, the airline puts us up at the Westin Resort now.. is it a decent hotel and is it on the water?

Cheers

Eric
    PLANE FISH N

Haven't posted anything from the last few trips as they have been just average with just some Mahi and Wahoo. It has been a little slow with the Mahi not showing up in any force yet and the Wahoo thinning out. I have been putting in the effort and going the extra mile to find fish, but the last two trips I found the best fish back on the inside. Two weeks ago after heading around Pati point and down the back side, I only had one Wahoo to show for my efforts. It was looking like the worst trip ever on the Kuleana until we were in the home stretch near Haupto and got a double Wahoo with one going 34 lbs. Definitely helped put dinner on the table for everyone on board.

Went out again Monday for the trimphant return of my fishing buddy Dustin who just returned from Iraq. I'm sure many will make the claim last ones out, but when CNN showed the last convoys leaving Iraq at 3 am, he was still in Basra for MEDEVAC support. They flew out later that day. I let him pick were he wanted to go, but with a ****ty forecast we were kinda limited. We ended up going south to 11 mile reef figuring the island would block some of the 6' swell and 15-20 knot winds. It was still sporty, but we made it work. Hit the buoys on the way, but they all had boats on them though fewer the farther out we got. Picked up a Mahi or 2 along the way and then got to 11 mile where we were rewarded for all our work with a 4 banger of nice 20+lb Yellowfin. Managed to get them all in with a little Tuna two steppin keeping the lines untangled. Picked up a few Skipjack Tuna and another Mahi on the way in. Besides being rough, it rained practically ALL day. As we turned into the harbor, the skies parted and the sun came out. What a welcome sight as we were all soaked to the bone. Always a good trip when you can put some Yellowfin on the table. After 3 nights of eating it, I'm ready to go get some more! Heres the pics...

"KULEANA"

STOP SHOWING OFF!!!

Just Kidding bro! I'm so dammm jealous! I remember when wahoo fishing was similar around Bimini. That was alooooong time ago!

Keep up the reports! Your entertaining us Cyber Anglers at work :(

Please keep up the reports. My wife and I check them every week and hope like hell that one day we can save up enough money to go there.

Thanks for the encouragement. Glad to see someone enjoying them. I have been busy this week and haven't put a report from last Saturday. Bad part is we took almost no photos of the day, good part was, fishing was good and what we did take pictures of was WHALES! Heres a few. Report to follow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3972.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	18636
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG3973.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	18637
    "KULEANA"

Well the trade wind gods took a breather last weekend and allowed us a rare winter treat, a trip to the southern banks! If you're not familiar with Guam we have an incredible series of banks that run in a chain from Guam to 40+ miles south. There is some distance between a few of them of a few miles, but for the most part you can fish it the whole way down. These are reefs or islands that didn't make it to the surface that come out of thousands of feet of water. The shear grandeur of the structure is enough to get excited about. They range in depths from 35' and shallower to some with 200' plateaus before the edges plummet into the abyss. The shallower reefs hold a huge variety of reef dwellers from Grouper to Snapper. The edges however are where most of the actions is. There are Wahoo, Dog Tooth Tuna, Jacks, Rainbow Runners and the ever present Gray Reef Sharks that thrive where the current pushes up from the depth.

The weather report was for a 6' East swell and a 4' North swell with 5-10knts of East wind. The wind was ideal, but I wasn't sure how sloppy a mixed swell would be. We were greeted by a pod of Pilot Whales on the way out and that was the second set of Whales we had seen in two trips. Still trying to figure out what the ones we saw last week were, but we think it was some form of beaked Whale. The ride out was great with both swells off our rear quarters, but when we stopped we realized the wind was up to over 10 knts and it was a little bumpy in the confused sea. We ran past Galvez bank and start fishing at Baby bank. Hard to pass up, but we had plans to hit White Tuna bank and that was still 20 miles farther down. There was not any birds or boils, but we managed to pick up a Wahoo and 2 Mahi before moving on to Stu bank. Same there, not much in the way of signs of life. We decided to give Stu a good chance with a few passes. Stu is an amazing bank. It is basically just a pinnacle that rises to about 150 out of a couple thousand feet. It's roughly the size of a football field and sometimes don't even see it on the finder. This a very sharky place! Our passes worked out as our outriggers popped on our second pass. Thought we had a good sized Wahoo from the way line ripped off the reel, but as it came in it hung lower and looked fat as it showed color. A big fat 19lb Dog Tooth came up for an easy gaff shot. Man those things are tough! After a few more passes and about 5 more fish including more Mahi, Wahoo and a Rainbow Runner we pulled the lines and ran to the top of White Tuna. There were lots of birds there and it looked fishy, but we didn't start trolling just yet. We broke out the jigging and bottom rods right on the drop off. It was not as productive as it has been in the past as we just didn't find the right spot, but we got some Snappers and a nice grouper. After about two hours of that we threw the lures back out and almost immediately got wacked. With the birds piling up, it was hot for the next hour with Mahi, Wahoo, Yellowfin and Rainbow Runners all taking their turn jumpin in the spread. All nice average 10-15lb fish. With 2PM passing, we had 40 miles to home and a busted radiator line on my truck waiting for us to figure out back at the marina(yes we went fishing anyway!) it was time to head back. The wind layed down nicely so it was easy to do a little run/troll/run/troll on the way home until we hit the top of Galvez, than ran the rest of the way in only stopping when we saw large blows about 3 miles out of the Marina. We putted up to see 5 Sperm Whales with 1 of them being very LARGE. I would have loved to slip into the water and taken some under water footage, but it was late and almost dark so we just snapped a few photos and enjoyed the view. Finally made it in, taped up the radiator hose and headed home. Only had to stop twice and fill up the truck with water :-) Got the boat to the house at about 9PM. Thats a long day after starting at 0400! It is such a privilege to have such a wild and unspoiled place to fish. The best part is we did not see another boat all day. Man those are the days I live for!
    Last edited by Night Moves; 01-26-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    "KULEANA"

You all are killing it , keep up the awesome reports and awesome pics !!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast