Airflo Polyleader

Florida Sportsman

Airflo Polyleader

Started using these about a year ago after seeing some good reviews on here (ODC I think) and really like the ease of the loop to loop system and the way they turn over. But I have had some issues and am wondering if anyone else has noticed them. The problem is that when some heat is put on them during a longer fight, the leader ends up basically looking like a slinky. Seems like maybe the outer coating is sliding on the core? Given Airflo's other very high quality products (I fish the ridge lines almost exclusively and love them), the first time it happened (bonefish) I figured it was a fluke, but after incident #2 (tarpon) it seems like there may be a real issue with the product. Thoughts? -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DPreston View Post
    Started using these about a year ago after seeing some good reviews on here (ODC I think) and really like the ease of the loop to loop system and the way they turn over. But I have had some issues and am wondering if anyone else has noticed them. The problem is that when some heat is put on them during a longer fight, the leader ends up basically looking like a slinky. Seems like maybe the outer coating is sliding on the core? Given Airflo's other very high quality products (I fish the ridge lines almost exclusively and love them), the first time it happened (bonefish) I figured it was a fluke, but after incident #2 (tarpon) it seems like there may be a real issue with the product. Thoughts? -Dave

I would say the average life excpectancy for a polyleader is about 6-8 weeks of steady fishing, after that they begin to delaminate causing the slinky effect that you described. I consider them essential for anyone who fishes windy conditions on a regular basis, or the guy who occasionally likes to throw 5" long deer hair bugs with a 7wt. I definately dig my polyleaders.

I use the Airflo bonefish clear intermediate for bones. My thought being to get that shrimp fly to the bottom quickly and have it sink again quickly after the strip. I notice they also make a floating bonefish leader. Is my thinking incorrect? Should I be using the floating?

Quote Originally Posted by ckfrank View Post
    I use the Airflo bonefish clear intermediate for bones. My thought being to get that shrimp fly to the bottom quickly and have it sink again quickly after the strip. I notice they also make a floating bonefish leader. Is my thinking incorrect? Should I be using the floating?
    Personal preference. Try both and see which you prefer.

Thanks ODC. Unfortunately age was not the issue. Was a brand new leader that I took out of the package that AM before we left the dock. Maybe I just got a bad one.

No other leader will transfer energy as well and equally as a poly leader used with AirFlo Ridgeline. Why is that? The Ridgeline is built with a polycore and your line control from your hand and onto turning loops over has very little loss of energy transferred into you polyleader. Creating better line control, hence tighter loops and more dexterity in various casting conditions.
    The chinzyness of the polyleader is where the core comes out of the coating! This part with lose it's integrity and curl up when compromised. That could happen after months of use or from handling a fish right out of the wrapper. When I notice a case of the curlyques I will attempt to squeegee the coating back over the core with my fingers. However, I generally end up peeling the coating off and continue using the leader.
    Most of my experience with polyleaders has been with the floating and intermediate leaders from 7, 10, and 14 feet. I really dig these various lengths and applications. Excellent casting flies of all shapes and sizes in various conditions. Rather than doing a loop to loop connection where I connect my flouro. I use a blood knot eliminating any possible hinge near the business end.
    I am still highly suspect of using the tarpon five foot polyleader just based on the loop to loop connections under speed and mass resistance. I am not sure how or if the leader system can absorb the sudden burst and flat out pulling power of large fast acrobatic fish. One thing an elaborate knot allows is dispersing sudden tension by moving under tension.

Trico you're concerns are accurate - broke off 2 100#+ poons yesterday at the loop to loop to the polyleader. 20# Mason tippet. Back to the drawing board!! *&*(*(^&*^%&*%^&%^&$!!!!!

Switched from a surgeon's loop at the top of my 20# Mason to a Bimini and looped to Polyleader loop. Two 100#+ poons to hand one day last week. Put a LOT of pressure on both fish. Hopefully problem solved.

I was wondering if a bit of KnotSense applied to the spot where the core emerges from the coating would help prolong the life of a polyleader? Any thoughts?
    Careful Man, there's a beverage here!