Yankee Capts Mutton Massacre oct 21-23
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Yankee Capts Mutton Massacre oct 21-23

OK so my journey started on friday morning at 8:45 am leaving my hometown miami,got to the racetrack gas station in florida city at 9:30 to fill up and eat some breakfast.Now on the quest for bait,all i had was an 8lb kingfish that i had caught about 8 days prior,my buddies adell,willy, and cleon had told me the the hot bait had been kingfish since the beginning of the season so atleast i had that bait secure,so my next stop was key largo fisheries o load up on ice and some fresh ballyhoos.Next stop would be to get speedeos from one of my bait contacts,after getting 2 dozen fresh speedos,i was on the was on the way the no name,i was surprised not to see anyone on my trip there catching bait normally there is! anyways,i get there at 1:15,put the chum bag out and the water turned black with pinfish and blue runners,loaded up on them and a few ballyhoos,i was out of there by 2:45pm with a cooler full of bait.I get to the white horse/yankee capts at 3:30pm and to my surprise Jarbas aka Mutton slayer had just gotten there and was unloading all his arsenal,I introduced myself to the new mates and started to unload the weapons as well,and made myself at home.Well 5 o'clock hits and we head out to the battlefield,I make sure everything is rigged and ready.I try to lay down to nap but like always I CANT!!!!So I go to the galley to wath some tv,we finally reach the grounds at 10:30pm.I get my piece of kingfish ready,we drop anchor and here we go cast out as far as i can,I was fishing the first spot on the pulpit#31,next to me was Bobby and then Art two cool a$$ fisherman.So not even 5 min pass by and i'm hooked up,nice 8lber and ofcourse jarbas too.We started fishing at 160ft and the muttons were coming up non stop every 10-15 min,then the sharks moved in so we moved.Capt Matt takes us to the same depth and another productive spot,muttons dont stop coming over the rails by 4am i have 6 and Jarbas i Believe 9,never during the trip did i try to compete with Jarbas or try to beat him I just tried to keep up,I figured if i was right behind him i would have a productive trip.Well sunrise came upon us and that was the last of the hot bite.Capt Gregg takes over and takes us to deeper water 220 ft."HELL YEAH THATS WHAT I LIKE BIG BOY FISHING" but like we expected this trip was gonna be based mostly on night fishing,I drop a leader down and bring up a nice 4 lb yellow eye,so lets get to work,put smaller baits down and start to slay them,ofcourse jarbas loves to be the center of attention and decides to drop a chicken rig and pullup up 3 yellow eyes evey time,lmao.We fished all day 220-230 ft the few muttons that did come up were nice ones and not to mention plenty of scamps.Kingfishing was solid too 85% of the time if you flatlined a ballyhoo you were getting eaten,Bobby hooks up to a nice king that came right up to the boat to eat his offering beautiful take of the bait Bobby does his job and brings him to the boat,ending up to be the pool winning fish about 28lber.Sunset came up and we went to 120ft.Jewfish city,we were all catching fish(muttons)and on the way up the would get eaten so i managed to get up a porgy about 2 lbs butterflied it and sent him down on my 6/0 locked the drag with my pliers and got ready.PLUMP you can feel the fish just suck it in,here we go i use the rail to my advantage and started to see saw him up,had him beat then he took another run and broke me off.Jarbas then gets hooked up and he manages to bring him up,big Goliath,gave him a sore jaw and sent him on his way.Night time again!!!Jarbas and i were talking earlier and expected for a slow night considering the fact that the previous night was explosive and most of the time a great night is then followed by a slow one but that wasnt the case.Saturday night was great,sharks and kings were thick too,Capt Matt takes us to some spot in 160ft at around 12am and lets just say that we left them biting at 4:30 am.Matt just wanted to find some more quality fish i guess because were we catching allot of rat muttons.So we go to 200 and cuurent is ripping cant barely hold bottom with 16 oz.Mike hooks up to whats looked like a nice black but lost him,so this bring us to our last stop sunrise,fished it for about 30 min and was time to head back,not much going on there anyways.I was ready to head back anyway,I consider myself a VERY hardcore fisherman but never had i felt the soreness in my shoulder and wrist that i had on this trip i can actually say that i was tired of catching fish,something that had never happend to me!!!We start arriving at key west and the totes are loaded i counted 32 someone please correct me if i am wrong,fish are distributed,Many people with mutton limits and many people including myself broke there personal mutton records.Lets just say i had to go to kmart and buy an xtra cooler.lol Thank you Capt Greg and Capt Matt and all the mates,you guys were all on your ''A'' game.This was one hell of a trip that will go in the record books for sure and will be hard to beat.I hope we can reapeat this,i know i will be back out with Greg this season again looking to do damage again.Thanks Jarbas,ART,Bobby AND Mike for making it an even better experience hope we can do it again.

Anthony aka Bricks
    '
    '',

Last edited by bite my bait; 10-28-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Good Job! Art told me it was a great trip. I'm glad everyone caught dinner. LOL.

Any pictures?

Juan

Thanks for the great report. We have all been waiting to hear what happened.
    I've Got 99 Problems, But A Fish Aint One............................................... .................................................. ..................Hit Me!

Guys I'm trying to get pictures but,I basically wrote the report from my phone because I haven't had time to reach my laptop.maybe ill have a chance tonight

Sounds like an amazing trip! Thanks fir the report and can't wait for the pictures.

Hey guys here are the pics.first one is on the way back 32 totes,second pic is a tote full of yelloweyes and a nice mutton to top it off,third pic is my 150 quart cooler overflowing with all muttons ,fourth pic me and my trophies, last pic is the cemetery "may all you fish rest in peace " lol

awesome man...def. a massacre!

Sounds like it was a great day to be out there fishing. I know for fact it was Congrats!!!
    www.cudamanadventures.com
    .................................................. ........
    I only keep what I eat or will use for bait.
    I release all sharks.

Wow, good that the conditions were there to target the YE, sure more action than soaking for Pinkies in the day when the nite bite is on. YE, Scamps, blacks, pinkies, and mega porgies from the deep during the day will fill the coolers for all and make the day past faster. Nice that the big YE were in 230' not that deep. The trip coming in tomorrow have nice weather, should be a great update too. My batting avg is the pits , 2 cancelled trip in less a month, Ahhhh!
    Last edited by globalwavetracker; 10-28-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Thanks for the great report and comments from others. My buddy and I are completely new to the game and are trying to decide on bait for our first ever trip - the 3 day on Nov. 10th. We were going to get some goggs, but they are darn expensive ($36 doz.) We are getting in early to catch a bunch of pins and maybe even runners. Do you think we can get away with getting some ballyhoo, thread fins, and bringing some king rigs? I hate to spend $3 a bait if it is not really really needed. Advice? Thanks.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast