Flounder poundin 101.....BLING BLING! Its all about the spinners baby!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Flounder poundin 101.....BLING BLING! Its all about the spinners baby!

For you guys that are still soaking baits the old fashioned way, Im going to change your life today! Get rid of that boring sinker and hook/bait gimmick and tie on a spinner! Thats right, a gold spinning blade attached to a jig head. You can quickly change your jigs out for changing depths, we fish jigs to one ounce in really deep water, but most of our flounder stomping grounds get pounded best with 1/2 ounce jigs attached to the spinner. Redfish magic is a great one, or even higher quality is the Slayer Inc versions. They have a thinner blade that excels in deeper water.
    I'm tellin you guys, I would pull up to spots, look around, and no one is catching fish. I toss in my white gulp/spinner combo and start bouncing it off the bottom back to me, and WHAM! Right off the bat almost every time. Im convinced that the flash of the blade is the most effective part of this rig, verses the vibration it creates. I believe this because we seem to always to do better the brighter the sun and higher over head it is. There is no doubt in my mind that this rig outfishes a standard fishfinder rig hands down, I have worn out the fish again and again when no boats around me are doing much.
    I caught 30 fish thursday, I think 25 on friday, and 15 on tourney day with dozens of boats on every spot it was tough. I went out a couple hours yesterday afternoon and got 5 more fatties for a fish fry. My nephew got the big bite of the day on saturday, which he secured 2nd place in the juniors division with! I think we finished 7th overall. My nephew was sooooo stoked, and won a nice trophy and an awesome new rod and reel combo. Chip did an incredible job with the tourney, we were boat #100 but I think there was 110 boats. He raised $25,000 for the School of Autism!
    Here are some shots of the spinner action. You can see that some fish end up getting foul hooked because they just blast these baits.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterman View Post
    2011 Flounder Pounder Winners

many Thanks to all the fishermen and volunteers that made the 2nd annual Flounder pounder a huge success! We raised $25,000 for the Jacksonville School for Autism!!! Congratulations to everyone especially our winners!!! Please remember to support our sponsors!

http://flounderpounderjax.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jax-Fl...3231107?ref=ts

Our winners are:

BIG FISH:

First Place Winner $1500 ~ Rick Thacker 8.29
    Second Place Winner $750 ~ Ray McCauley 5.89
    Third Place Winner $500 ~ Shane Peterson 5.67
    Fourth Place Winner $350 ~ Robert Dykes 5.47
    Fifth Place Winner $200 ~ Rich Kersey 5.45

3 FISH AGGREGATE:

First Place Winner $1500 ~ David Merry 15.42
    Second Place Winner $750 ~ Ben Dodd 14.03
    Third Place Winner $500 ~ Bill Kelly 12.81
    Fourth Place Winner $350 ~ Kevin Mears 12.68
    Fifth Place Winner $200 ~John English 12.38

Jr. ANGLER:

First Place Winner ~ Ross Kersey 5.45
    Second Place Winner ~ Aaron Hickox 4.68
    Third Place Winner- Ben Groshell 4.17

HEAVIEST TOAD FISH:

Mike Mango 2.10
    Wins 1 sandwich a week for a year from Angie's Subs.

Out of all the flounder fishing Ive done in the last week, with nearly 100 fish caught, I can say without a doubt in my mind that the spinner blade is where its at. We would soak baits while we worked our blades, which acounted for only a few fish. The blade is deadly with a white gulp or fishbites paddle tail, worked just slow enough to touch bottom every now and then. With a live mullet on a spinner blade, I feel like it is simply unfair and tottaly decimates the fish! Im talking as good as it gets, no doubt!
    So tie up your spinner blades, and go up river a good ways past the Daimspoint and start fishing the sand and rock banks back. Any tide, they are stacked up this year, this is world class flounder fishing. Catch em up! Untill next time, tight lines my friends!
    Last edited by Boattronics; 10-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com
    Over 70 seperate, recent reviews from captains on this forum-
    http://forums.floridasportsman.com/s...ronics-reviews!
    Please contact me today with any questions or for a free estimate!

Congrats to you Nephew. Dude, you are killing them. Thanks for the tip about spinners. When flounder are stacked up, arties are the way to go!

Arun.

Thanks you for the tips.

Your very welcome guys! Another tip.... no sense in wasting time around mayport, I havnt found a single one there yet this year. Go up river!
    I told you guys this last week, before the tourney. See, I wasnt lieing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boattronics View Post
    Okay. Last tourney that I fished was "Full of bull". We caught 12 reds over 38" in less than two hours the day before.... I would have bet you anything that we would at least placed. We didnt even get a single bite tourney day!

This tourney, (Flounder Pounder) I now know how things work. Even though I absolutely blistered the flounder today in the best bite I have ever experianced in my life, I dont expect anything during the tourney! Nope. I donated my $75 to the school for autism and feel damn good about it. And I cant praise Chip enough, none of us can. He got over 100 boats in this years tourney! I think he raised well over ten grand for the kids! Helluva job brother! Team Boattronics took the honor of breaking the triple digits, as boat #100.

Today I caught more flounder in one day than I have all the flounder Ive ever caught in my life put together! At least, thats what it seemed like. Good sized fish too. Seriously, at one point I hooked 5 fish, in 5 consecutive casts! I couldnt believe it!

I can post some pics if you like, but gotta run for now. Point is, get your live finger mullet, and go pound some docks towards downtown. You wont be dissapointed! Many folks are saying this is the best bite that has hit in the last decade..... go fish!

See you boys out there saturday, good luck! Im not going to catch anything tourney day, in fact, whatever spots I fish tourney day will become jinxed. So please pay me no attention.

Saturday night, Ill post up some pics. (super duper secret spots in background) Untill then, tight lines my friends!
    Tony Eden, Marine electronics, electrical and accesories rigging & repair master-
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

I remember when Roger Bump was in Florida Sportsman Mag doing an article on his in-line spinner catching flounder several years back. They work. This is another article that has some good info.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011...ive-it-a-spin/

Just got the pics from Chip! Check out the junior anglers! My nephew Aaron is the tall kid.

Folks are talking about how crazy the popular spots were. Truth is, with over 100 boats fishing competitively for the same fish, EVERY spot was covered! I eased in, and tried to be as curteous as possible, only fishing directly in front of my boat. What I found, was a bunch of great people that were in good spirits! Some of the spots were downright insane, boats literally bumping each other! But everyone was cool. You would see folks get tangled, but then be very nice to each other as they fixed the mess. My uncle and another angler crossed lines once, and the boater untied him rather than cutting him off. He even mentioned, "Hey, looks like you might want to re-tie your rig.", but my uncle kept throwing it forgetting to check it first. After about three throws the lure came off, he should have listened to our good neighbor! Anyway, just thought it was worth mentioning how cool the crowd actually was.
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

Quote Originally Posted by jawray View Post
    I remember when Roger Bump was in Florida Sportsman Mag doing an article on his in-line spinner catching flounder several years back. They work. This is another article that has some good info.
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2011...ive-it-a-spin/
    Dang right they do! I remember when a buddy showed them to me. Im like "Dude. What are you doing with that bass lure in salt water?" He said "Just watch and learn, you will use one too!". That day, fishing side by side on a tiny boat, he caught 5 with his "bass lure" and I only caught one using the standard live finger mullet sinker rig. That day I converted for good, and began my love for spinners. Flounder love the BLING!!!
    Last edited by Boattronics; 10-24-2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Boattronics.net
    Boatswitchpanels.com

Great report man! I need to work on my retrieve speed with the spinners....I always feel like I'm dragging them too fast.

Nice mess of fish!

dude...slayed em. tight work man. sending you a PM here shortly
    I am choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Buford Cletus View Post
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast