Recap of our recent offshore trips SRQ March 2016
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Recap of our recent offshore trips SRQ March 2016

So a few of my buddies head down hoping for some blazing heat and smooth seas.... but this was not to be the case unfortunately. When we see the offshore forecast looking like this we knew it was not gong to be great.

NOAA.jpg

Day 1 headed out to between 100-120 FOW in order to target some snapper and grouper. It was cold and rough, but we did reasonably well. We caught some nice mangos, lanes, and red grouper. We used live shrimp and frozen sardines presented on fishfinder rigs for the most part. Some of the grouper bit on pinfish. This was a solid trip but not amazing. The rough seas made it difficult to anchor and it was not ideal conditions for drifting. We filled the box pretty nicely and no complaints at day's end.

Fishbox.jpg

Day 2 seas were a little calmer. Headed out 70+ miles in hopes of finding some pelagics on the troll. No such luck but we did get some nice pink porgies, triggerfish, and snapper. We tried for some AJ's and found plenty between 30-34 inches, but only 1 over 34. The new regs are making it tough. We then stopped inside 120 and picked up some more red grouper and scamp.

AJ Kory.jpg

Cart day 2.jpg

Day 3 was last Saturday after the guys left town. Headed out to 100 FOW with Angler Systems. As luck would have it, we blew a lower unit at 10:30 AM so our day was cut short. We did spend a few hours fishing despite nasty seas and hobbling around without 1 of the engines. I think we managed about a dozen mangos and a dozen lanes. We only anchored once due to the impaired boat situation and did the best we could. No pics of the fish this day.

Day 4 fished nearshore, just out side of state waters. It was too rough to get any deeper, especially since I had the kids. I was impressed with the fact that Marine Max swapped out the lower unit and had me back on the water in 1 day. It was a bit sporty in the morning and calmed down as the day went on. We had about 25 mangos, 3 sheepshead, 3 tripletail, and 3 nice hogfish. The fish all preferred shrimp presented on a jig head or fishfinder rig. The knocker rig did not fare as well.

Trip.jpg

Final pic Mace.jpg

The seas have not been the greatest but we made the best of it. Over the course of 2 weeks I spent a small fortune in fuel, but did manage to get a nice variety of fish. Probably one more trip before we had back to Wisconsin.
    Last edited by RMD; 03-10-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Upstate New York - Rotonda West, FL - Stump Pass
    Very impressive in my book. Nice job!
    Capt. Wayne Stoutner
    Reel Stout Sportfishing
    Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout fishing
    www.reelstout.com
    Tikitown!
    SW Florida Vacation Rental
    https://www.vrbo.com/721414

You did great. Good job.

Love the pink porgies, what depth did you find them? I have a ridge in 250' thats solid with them.
    Offshore Hunter Fishing Charters

http://www.offshorehuntercharters.com

Like us on Facebook!
    https://www.facebook.com/offshorehunterfishingcharters

2005 Yellowfin 31 df/250's

Thanks for the complements guys. Veikx we were around 200. I forget the exact depth to be honest but it's about 70nm out. They're pretty easy to catch once you're in them. Not as selective or finicky as snapper.

Great job Ryan. Always can count on you to fill the box.

Nice work as always. I would love to join you and chip in on that gas bill one day. I have fished srq my whole life, but have never been able to go out that deep. Our boat isn't ready for that! I guess that's why I am always on the 50 foot hard bottom, or artificial reefs!

Quote Originally Posted by sk018 View Post
    Nice work as always. I would love to join you and chip in on that gas bill one day. I have fished srq my whole life, but have never been able to go out that deep. Our boat isn't ready for that! I guess that's why I am always on the 50 foot hard bottom, or artificial reefs!
    Sounds good. I am occasionally looking for an extra guy

Nice job on the fish ! I've personally never been out past 32 miles.