Dome Radar For Finding Birds

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dome Radar For Finding Birds

Ok, finally bit the bullet and bought another boat. 25 contender currently has an old dome radar on it that works fine for weather/navigation. I would need to move outriggers/antennas, etc to put an open array on it and I dont want to do that. I have noticed that Raymarine's new HD domes have a mode for finding birds. (Raymarine RD424HD 4kw) Could anyone WITH EXPERIENCE tell me if it is reasonable to find birds with this unit and how effectively. The only reason I say WITH EXPERIENCE is because I know the old rule is 6kw open array at a minimum but technology is always moving forward. I dont want to spend a bunch of money if it will not do the job.
    I am not a newbie and have owned boats with open array in the past (I am only mentioning this so no one answers with too much info assuming I dont know anything about radars or finding birds
    Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S. I didnt buy the boat for tuna fishing but it would be nice a couple times a year.

Sushiwagon II

I have used a 4kw dome to find birds all summer. The range is limited and it takes some (multiple) setting changes but if you keep in mind your range will be limited to a few miles or less it can be done as long as its clear.

Thanks Capt, could you tell me what brand and model radar and can you find them at 3-4 miles???
    Just trying to get as many facts as possible. Thanks again for the input.
    Chuck Norris doesnt wear a watch, Chuck Norris decides what time it is!

Raymarine raydome (rd24) or something around that part number coupled with a ray e120. Like I said limited range but it can be done.

With a 4kw radar (new or old) you can see most of the birds the radar will pick up, with your naked eye.

Just purchased a Garmin HD Dome, was wondering if Idlewilde has any experience with the new HD Technology?

Yes, a friend installed one 6 months ago or so and it has a little crisper display, but unfortunately as for finding birds, my above reply applies - we could see um with our eyes as easily as we could on the radar screen.

Do you own a 355 Bluewater also? If so we saw you guys in Grand last year. And I think you are going to be best served by open array.
    Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186
    Book an inshore or offshore charter in Stuart Florida with....
    http://www.bitenholdcharters.com

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."

That is my old partner we owned a 2850 bluewater and he moved up to a 35 (a little rich for my blood lol)
    That is why my new boat is sushi wagon 2. I have a better idea....i will just keep the radar on my boat for weather/navigation and keep fishing with him for tuna lol. I am really thinking of buying a nice pair of image stabilized binoculars at this point unless i hear someone say the new domes do the trick. I will be in Grand this year!
    Chuck Norris doesnt wear a watch, Chuck Norris decides what time it is!

Good idea. Get the 1. Fujinon's, or 2. Nikon's - do not get the Canon's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast