Report 12/12 out of Sarasota
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Report 12/12 out of Sarasota

Took a break from my usual spearfishing and switched gears to hook and line for a trip. Headed out Saturday morning off Sarasota to about 10 miles. Found some triple tail on the way out but no keepers. Looking for bait/ledges wasn't too successful as the east wind picked up and when the white caps started we decided to hit some spots closer in for a little more wind protection.

Ended up anchoring on a spot in about 30' of water and as soon as we got situated a big school of cobia crusied by the boat. My buddy threw a bucktail jig which was quickly eaten and it was game on. Ended the day with 12 cobia to the boat and kept a 4 person limit of 4.

It was a pretty insane bite with the fish hitting 3 oz bucktail jigs tipped with squid, some even hit naked jigs.

I'll see if I can throw some pictures up later today.

Tight Lines.

JB

Wow !!! Right time, right bait, great when it works that way.
    larrywitt

Wow, that's really cool. Congrats!

Just goes to show you, Cobia love anchors! That's why whenever I take out my family fishing we try to bring at least one anchor per angler so everyone can get in on the action.

Quote Originally Posted by trousertroutman View Post
    Just goes to show you, Cobia love anchors! That's why whenever I take out my family fishing we try to bring at least one anchor per angler so everyone can get in on the action.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by jbsrq View Post
    Ended up anchoring on a spot in about 30' of water and as soon as we got situated a big school of cobia crusied by the boat.
    JB
    This was a cat I hoped would stay in the bag but you released it! No worries though plenty of cobes to go around. Scientists don't know if it is the splash, the plume of sand/mud/barnacles anchors make when they hit the sea bottom floor, or the shiny cling clang the chain makes, but it is a proven fact anchors attract cobia. Food for thought when trying to put food on the table I always say!

Nice cobia. I hope to have a day like that before i die.