Offshore Structure/Ledges - Lower Keys

Florida Sportsman

Offshore Structure/Ledges - Lower Keys

I'm a newcomer to the Keys/FS Forum and I'm looking for some help in finding productive structure/ledges offshore in vicinity of Cudjoe Key. I've heard about the Wall, and I've read about the Humps around Marathon and Islamorada, but is there anything further west than these areas?

I've head some people talk about the "ups and downs". Where are these?

Any/all feedback would be greatly appreciated! Tight lines, and thank you for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaMingKW View Post
    I've head some people talk about the "ups and downs". Where are these?
    Due South of Cudjoe. Actually start south of Boca Chica and go East from there. You'll find them on your chart (and chartplotter) starting in about 450-550'. There's more the structure based "Ups and Downs" South of American Shoal.

On a flat day with current, the area can be found without a bottom machine based on the rips you'll see pushing up.

Normally will hold Tuna, Dolphin, Wahoo because of the rips. You'll also find Marlin. About 675' is the outer edge. Once you pass into the 700's, the slope decreases and there isn't a lot of good structure.

Good deep dropping on the Ups and Downs (when we can do it).

Rob
    Largest Private Charter Vessel in the Lower Keys
    www.easyridercharterskeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.

Thanks Rob!

Using this NOAA chart (http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11442.shtml) as reference, would you describe the Ups and Downs as being in vicinity of the dashed "unexploded ordinance reported 1971" circle, or south of "FLORIDA" in the "Straits of Florida" label?

This is a weird question, I know, but I want to make sure I'm looking at the correct location.... thanks again.

Yes, from there (just a little West of that point would be the starting point) and then to points East.

Rob
    Largest Private Charter Vessel in the Lower Keys
    www.easyridercharterskeywest.com

Hero's Don't Wear Capes....They Wear Dog Tags.