How to measure your scallops?

Florida Sportsman

How to measure your scallops?

I was wondering how you guys make sure you get exactly 2 gallons of scallops?

I was planning on filling a paint bucket with 2 gallons of water then marking a line with a sharpie. Then fill the whole bucket with water and fill the scallops up to the line.

What are your methods?

Native Manta Ray 14 Sand

With a gallonmeter...patent pending. I fill the bucket with water and mark it every gallon. When we scallop, I put them on ice in a mesh bag. Periodically, I put the bag in the bucket. When I get close to the limit of the day, I dump them in, measure and then put them back in mesh bags in 3 or 4 gallon quantities.
    Chris

Reel Time w/Florida Sportsman Guest Host
    Sight Fishing AJ's, Say What
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCSPH...1&feature=plcp

Have a 2 gal cast net bucket that works great and does anyone have a scallop report I know they're small but #'s and depth?

I haven't started to seriously look yet, but I saw a few in about 6' of water last Thursday.

Does anyone have a link or knows when the FWC posts a report on the areas? we are going to Homossa for the July 4th weekend and the place we are staying at said she has not heard anything on the scallops. thanks for the info JD

Under The ____________Power Lines!!!!! Forum Rank: A++ (99/100)
    Fill a 5-gallon bucket about half-way with water, then make a line at the water level. Now, add EXACTLY 2 gallons of water. Make another line. When you go, fill with saltwater to first line. Add scallops until water reaches second line. You have added exactly 2 gallons of scallops. However, you did not get shorted by the space in-between the scallops, which you would if you did it the conventional way. Not cheating if you can prove it's accurate!