Yankee Capt 22nd-25th Pulley Ridge Trip
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee Capt 22nd-25th Pulley Ridge Trip

Trip started off well with no real traffic issues on the drive down Friday. Unfortunately that changed when I was leaving Marathon Bait and Tackle. I had a truck back into me while I exiting the parking lot! Only a minor set back then I was on my way. We left at 8pm to calm winds and beautiful skies. After watching a beautiful sunset (while listening to my Royals beat the Cardinals!) I went to bed only to wake to an even prettier sunrise. By this time we were well west of the Fort and only a couple hours from our first drift deep dropping at Pulley Ridge. Three of us put out trolling rods. I was the first to get bit but after pulling out 100ft of drag the hook pulled. Next was Joe, his Marauder style lure got smashed but somehow that fish came unbuttoned too. Finally Mike hooks up and he fights a nice 20lb+- wahoo to the boat.
    Conditions for deep drop were near ideal. 10mph breeze light current ect however bite was just ok. We were seeing a pick of really nice yellow edge groupers, some quality queen snappers and a few grey tiles and snowys. By the end of the day I had decent bag of fish highlighted by a ten pound or so snowy. Joseph had the best fish of the day with a stud yellow edge he hand cranked from 600ft.
    Just before sunset Capt Greg moved us up on the bank for the night fishing. Wind had started to pick up so he deployed the drift anchor. I was surprised by how manageable the drift was. Despite the wind blowing around 20 all that was needed was a 10 or 12 oz sinker. Quality fish started coming up immediately. Big beautiful red grouper, muttons, blackfin snapper, scamps and yellow mouth grouper. After a couple hours of this it happened.. the blackfin tuna found us. Big fish too up to 30 pounds. From 11pm until sunrise it seemed as if you catch a tuna on every drop. There were times I was actually frustrated because I couldn't get a bait to the bottom! When does that happen?! Most the big tuna came on bait while smaller ones could easily be had on jigs. Unfortunately even though the bottom fish were chewing on bait they didn't seem to to like the diamond or flutter jigs I dropped. Didn't matter though, all you needed was a whole squid fished just off the bottom.
    Day two it was decided we would stay on the bank instead of deep dropping due to the conditions. I was stoked as I was having a blast. The day bite was nothing like the night bite mainly due to the disappearance of the tuna but we picked away at the muttons and red grouper plus some added variety. At times the action was a bit slow but the fish that were caught were all very impressive.
    Back at the dock some of the catches were great some not as great. It really becomes evident who puts the time in at the rail but one thing for sure, everyone went home with fish. Another great job by Captain and crew on the best headboat in the state of Florida.
    My finale tally 5 muttons, 3 snowys, 1 yellowedge, 1 big yellow mouth grouper, 1 scamp, 1 firetruck (no worms!), 1 black grouper, 1 cubera, one blackfin snapper, a bunch of blackfin tuna and some grey tiles. Some fish shared with others some released. Can't wait to go back!
    125.jpg148.jpg157.jpg160.jpg169.JPG171.JPG173.jpg175.jpg167.JPG
    Last edited by Snaphappy; 05-30-2015 at 09:13 AM.

Outstanding catches, thank you for the report Dudley.
    Dudley, you always put a lot of effort and it pays off. Not to derail but shoot me a pm, I have not seen/heard from Jake and he's surely missed.
    I got three PR trips lined up this summer, can't wait.
    Cheers Dudley, great report!

Awesome report, great pics. Thanks for posting.

Nice catch! I really miss being out there. It's so funny to hear black fin tuna being referred to like that, almost like they are a nuisance. Most people would die to catch one or two and consider it the trip highlight. I treat yellow tails the same way, now, but it used to be some of my best fun out there, in the Tortugas. It really shows just how spectacular the fishing is, on the Yankee Captains, at Pulley Ridge and in the Tortugas. The last fish fry we did in April, we had four black fins, from a PR trip two days before, never frozen. The raves about it went on and on. You would think we were feeding the starving. It is the icing on the cake to hear those comments, especially when I almost feel guilty for having so much fun out there!
    Fish on boys, but leave a few for me, small ones!

Nice catch, thanks for sharing.

Dudley was the man. He definitly put the time in at the rail and deserved everything he got. He fought that 30 lb blackfin as if it was something he did everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by Xaf View Post
    Dudley was the man. He definitly put the time in at the rail and deserved everything he got. He fought that 30 lb blackfin as if it was something he did everyday.
    Haha thanks for the kind words Bob. How's the knee?

Your the man Dudley!!

Dudley, Stud catch.....AWESOME!! I was down in Key West for Memorial Day weekend and was at the Hogfish on Sunday. Noticed that the Yankee was out. I went by to see Yuri as they just came in from a four day trip west of the fort. I met Gilbert (globalwavetracker) at the boat and he said thy had a great trip as well. Kilsong was with him on this trip as well. They have a report on 360 you can check out. Looking forward to our trip in July with Yuri.....Under 6 weeks now!!!! cant Wait!!

John

Nice report Dudley....three weeks untl I go along!
    I'm right here Art! Just less active on the board than previously

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast