Yankee Capts 3 day Mutton Marathon
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee Capts 3 day Mutton Marathon

Finally got to go on a trip with my long time fishing partner, Nathan, my son. He's been fishing party boats with me since he was 9. If my math is correct that is almost 30 years. It's been tough to get out together the last few years with his work and family obligations so I was really looking forward to this trip. So we loaded the truck up with coolers and tackle and were off on the 7 hour drive to stock island, stopping along the way to pick up some goggle eyes, speedos, and balley hoo. As we pulled up to the Yankee Capts there were already several groups of anglers waiting for the word to board. We unloaded our gear and joined them. I thought our drive was bad but ran into Dudley, a YC regular, that drives down from Jacksonville. When Capt Greg gave the word we loaded our gear and then went next door to the Hogfish to get a bite to eat.

Edit: Forgot to add one incident. Thought several people were going to lose their lunch when Art (another regular) ate a bait squid on a bet. We were told you could hear the people around him gagging all the way over at the Hogfiah.

(Not sure why some of the pictures may not open all the time. I tried reloading the pictures and tried re-sizing them but it didn't seem to make much difference)

Not a great picture, but the Yankee Capts, looking good with its new paint job and new boxes on the bow, as we wait to depart.
    YC resize.jpg

After we got under way, it was time to try and get some sleep. About 6 am I heard the power pulled back and was up and ready for our first stop of many. I believe we started fishing in about 140 ft. A few fish were caught but there was a lot of green slime on the bottom. If you didn't get a bite the first minute or two when you dropped down, your bait and sinker would come up covered in the slime. After a couple stops with these conditions Greg decided to move further off shore into about 220 feet to get away from the slime. I would say that the trip was pretty typical with a slow pick most of the time. There were a few spots were the bite was better then others but all-in-all a pretty good trip. As usual the sharks were a nuisance at a couple spots. There were a few small muttons but most were on the large side, 10-12 lb. In fact, we broke off a few fish that were pretty large. There was a pretty large variety of fish caught including a 38 lb Cabarra, quite a few blackfin tuna, a few amber jacks, a lot of nice scamp grouper, etc. Not too many yellow tails, which is OK with me. I hate it when they keep stealing your bait.

The weather was great the whole trip with a slight breeze that made it very comfortable. The seas were probably never more then 2, maybe 3 feet at most.
    IMG_0497 resize.jpg

Nathan with an AJ
    Aj resize.jpg

Nathan with Blackfin
    Black fin resize.jpg

A couple of the typical muttons we caught.
    muttons resize.jpg

32 lb king fish caught on a bottom rig with no wire.
    Kingfish resize.jpg

Total catch: 13 muttons, 2 scamps, 1 red grouper, 1 yellow eye snapper, 4 lg yellow tail snapper, 2 gaint porgies, 1 nice margate, 1 kingfish, 1 black fin tuna, and one amber jack. My son did most of the catching. With a bum knee and bad back I take a lot of breaks from the rail. (Got to have some excuse for him out fishing me.)
    all resize.jpg

Capt Greg and crew did their usual outstanding job. Greg put us on the fish and Lyndon, Matt and Brian made quick work of any line tangles and were there with the gaff when needed. The mates scrubbed the boat from bow to stern keeping the new paint job looking great. Pete the new cook made me a couple great cheese burgers that really hit the spot. Don't know how I managed to leave Brizo out. Keeping everyone on the crew in line.

I couldn't resist one last picture. My son with his future fishing partner.
    IMG_0506.jpg
    Last edited by Xaf; 04-23-2015 at 12:58 AM.

Banned
    NICE trip!

Awesome report. Thanks for posting.

Thanks Bob. Always a pleasure.

Greg

Great write up Bob. It was great fishing with you again and meeting Nathan. Fun trip for sure. A couple stops had some BIG muttons coming up but having 40 people on the boat sometimes made it tough landing them haha. A couple other notes, I saw more big scamps this trip then I have seen in while so that was nice. You can't beat them on the dinner plate. Lastly the new cook Pete worked his tail off. Guys if you have a trip coming up, trust me you don't have to bother bringing a bunch of food. The galley meals were outstanding. As usually Capt Greg put us on the fish and his hard working crew of Lyndon, Matt and Brian made fishing easy, quick to work out the many tangles, gaff your fish and keep you laughing at the same time. It doesn't get much better.

Nice catch of stud muttons and mix on a packed boat. Hope the algae will drive off the sharks, .

XAF, nice report. I can't wait to try out the Yankee Capts in July on a Rankin trip. Glad you got to fish with your son! I just took my 8yr old on his first half-day a few months ago and he loved it.

TennesseeDave - That's exactly how Nathan and I started, 1/2 day trip or 2 out of Sebastian Inlet to make sure he could handle it. After that he became a weekend regular with me for many years. He often frustrated older anglers by walking away with the pool money. :

I have one more Pulley Ridge Trip then go in for knee replacement scheduled at the end of May. Hopefully everything will go as scheduled, looking forward to the July trip myself.

Great report and catch! I have a long wait, but I'll be back!

Nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast