Backing breakage - Page 5
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Reviving older thread. Hope all of you Florida sportsmen make it through Irma OK. If you don't have time to answer my questions, I understand why.

Two years ago, Carl Blackledge wrote:
    I have played the Dacron backing game for years, then I switched to "white Power pro backing" 50 pound Power Pro is actually 72 pound test, this stuff (spectra) won't rot and is actually so slippery it's even hard to dye it It's almost like trying to dye a piece of glass. You will automatically get 50% more backing because of the smaller diameter. The best knot to use is the triple surgeons loop (6 times thru) when you make the loop, make sure you end up with a two foot loop single strand, then double that loop over on it's self and tie another surgeons loop 3 times through, when finished you will have a loop one foot long with double line. Lefty claims that knot is stronger then a Bimini with 50-70 twists. If you install new Power Pro, don't let a fly shop install a piece of tape or anything else on the reel arbor for the power pro to bite on, just tie the first few wraps on backwards for a good grip, once you take the plunge, you won't be breaking your backing again. Loop your backing to your fly line with a 50 pound braided loop installed to the back of the fly line.....you should be bullet proof.

My questions:
    1) Are you still using Power Pro spectra for backing? If not, what are you using now?
    2) When you tie the second Surgeon's loop with the doubled line, how close to the 6-turn Surgeon's loop should the knot be for the second three-turn Surgeon's loop?

Thanks,
    smctrout

Suffix 832 ghost. I double the line and wrap 3x then a 3 wrap uni to the spool. It's never failed on any of my gear (conventional or fly) second the 50/60# suffix ghost is not died so theres no fading, it's also tougher than normal gsp so it handles oyster/choral better it you get to it. I use a double Bimini on 10wt+ and still use an 9wrap Albright on smaller sizes. Love it, won't leave it, has never let me down!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hambweld View Post
    Suffix 832 ghost. I double the line and wrap 3x then a 3 wrap uni to the spool. It's never failed on any of my gear (conventional or fly) second the 50/60# suffix ghost is not died so theres no fading, it's also tougher than normal gsp so it handles oyster/choral better it you get to it. I use a double Bimini on 10wt+ and still use an 9wrap Albright on smaller sizes. Love it, won't leave it, has never let me down!!

Hambweld,

When you say you're doubling the line and wrapping 3x, do you mean that you're making a 3-wrap Surgeon's loop for the loop-to-loop with the flyline, or are you wrapping the doubled line around the spool 3 times before tying the 3-wrap uniknot?

smctrout

Quote Originally Posted by smctrout View Post
    Hambweld,

When you say you're doubling the line and wrapping 3x, do you mean that you're making a 3-wrap Surgeon's loop for the loop-to-loop with the flyline, or are you wrapping the doubled line around the spool 3 times before tying the 3-wrap uniknot?

smctrout

I wrap the double line 3x around the spool then a 3x uni. A regular arbor knot will slip with sufix. I use a double Bimini for my loops.

Hambweld,
    I'm having difficulty figuring out how you attach backing to the reel. If I double the line and try to tie the uniknot with the loop made by doubling the line, one leg of the doubled line will not tighten down when I slide the uniknot toward the reel. Would you mind describing the process in more detail?

Thanks,
    SMCtrout

Double the line for about 2ft, then wrap the double around the spool, then tie a 3x uni. Slowly tighten it down on the spool then cinch hard until it quits moving. You will have a loop tag and then a single tag out the top.

Hambweld,
    Thanks for the explanation. I got it to work this time.
    SMCtrout

👍 just have too pull both main line and single tag at the same time to cinch it down. Then tug the loop one last time for good luck!

Carl Blackledge recommended a knot for making a loop in braid backing to connect to a flyline. He described it as follows:
    The best knot to use is the triple surgeons loop (6 times thru) when you make the loop, make sure you end up with a two foot loop single strand, then double that loop over on it's self and tie another surgeons loop 3 times through, when finished you will have a loop one foot long with double line. Lefty claims that knot is stronger then a Bimini with 50-70 twists.

Does anyone else use this knot? If so, how close should the first surgeon's loop (6 times through) be to the second surgeon's loop (3 times through) with doubled braid?

Thanks,
    SMCtrout

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345