Fuel leak ???
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

Thread: Fuel leak ???

Fuel leak ???

I just ran back from the Bahamas with my '00 2550. I had filled the fuel tank pretty full and after running in rough seas for a while, I began to get the odor of gasoline in my bilge and center console enclosure. Opened the transom and bilge hatches to let it vent and made it home safely with no further problem although it was a bit scary.

I checked the sending unit as well as my fuel lines starting at the draw tubes and going thru the flow meter sensors, filters and remaining fuel lines. No evidence of any leaks at these items. I could not get to the tank connection for the filler tube or the vent line. Anyone run into this problem before or have any ideas on where to find my leak? It does not appear that I can get access to the filler tube/vent connection on the tank without removing the liner.

Pull your sending unit out and try checking
    the gasket may be bad.

Go to page 2 and see the problem i had.

I'd certainly pull the sending unit and check the gasket, probably replace the whole thing regardless of what I see. It is a relatively cheap fix and with the past history very likely your culprit. Especially if it only happens with the tank is full, or nearly full and being sloshed around a bunch. I pulled mine on an 03 2350, and it was not corroded through, but was not going to be long before it was. When you put your pie plate hatches over your fuel tank back down be sure to clean the seals, and put some Silicone grease on them to hopefully keep the water out of them.

I checked the gasket and sending unit and they were good. I replaced the rubber washers on the 5 mounting screws. Still have the gas odor. Back in the Bahamas now amd left my boat stateside. Will deal with it when I return. Thanks for all the feedback. I hate to think about pulling the cap and tank....

I had the same problem with my 1998 2550. I was the second owner so warranty. The leak was forward of both inspection plates. I sold the boat as a project boat. The new owner is cutting the deck open this week so I'll post results when I can.

Look forward to what he finds.

They have determined it is leaking from at least two places. One forward of the sensor and one aft of the pick up. The fuel fill is intact and not the problem. So they will proceed with cutting the deck open. They were hoping not to have to.

The guy that purchased my boat patched the tank somehow and resold it. I don't have anymore information on how he did it.

Have you located your leaks?

Not yet. I am currently on a factory delivery up the East Coast all summer. Kept less than 1/2 tank of fuel in my boat when I last used it and no leaks.