GoPro video... it's MY turn now!

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

GoPro video... it's MY turn now!

I finally gathered enough footage with my GoPro camera to put together a video. It's been about 6 years since I last messed with iMovie. It was the '04 version back then. I'm thoroughly impressed by the improvements in iMovie'11! It's amazingly powerful for a $15 entry-level DV editor.

About the video: It's mostly a collection of experiments with the GoPro. The first scenes were captured by strapping the camera to a downrigger ball and slow-trolling inside Boca Inlet. Most of the rest of the footage was taken from the end of a custom-made handle pieced together from a rod butt, tripod head, and a wooden dowel. The deep-dropping scenes took a lot of cojones. The camera was strapped to a 5lb sash weight and fired down almost to its 200ft crush depth. To my knowledge, nobody has done that before with a GoPro cam!

Yes, the video is a bit long (just over 6 minutes) and starts kinda mellow, but I tried to keep it interesting all the way through with creative editing and a funky song. Enjoy!

Video link >> http://vimeo.com/29657281
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 09-28-2011 at 12:31 PM.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...

Good stuff!!
    Words of Wisdom: Many a problem will solve itself, if we forget it and go fishing or hunting!!

That was awesome! With the luck I've had deep dropping, I won't be trying that with mine hahaha
    Kill Swordy

Creative editing. ;) The rosies were at 850ft, but I didn't let the camera go beyond 200. But yeah... I was a bit nervous doing it!

FYI: The first scenes were shot using the factory GoPro curved lens, which is known to cause distortion underwater. That's why the inlet scenes are a bit fuzzy. I purchased a "Flat Lens Housing (pro version)" made by Eye-of-Mine, which solved the underwater focus problem for the rest of the footage.
    Last edited by Uncle Buck; 09-27-2011 at 03:55 PM.

Sweet video, it was cool to see what the bottom of Boca Inlet looked liked. The pics of you dropping the camera down on the deep drop rigs was dizzying wacthing them spin as they went up and down. Also nice work with creative editing for those shots. Gutsy move dropping that expensive camera down 200 ft but well worth it for the shots.

I am thinking about getting a GoPro and some editing software. Just curious as to how long something like that took to make? Being that your a pro i know it will take me longer to do less quatliy work.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

Pretty cool video!!!!
    Old Homosassa Vacation Rental
    http://www.vrbo.com/105186
    Book an inshore or offshore charter in Stuart Florida with....
    http://www.bitenholdcharters.com

"No matter the size of the fish, you can only put a bite size peice in your mouth."

Century7... I'm using a fairly modern/powerful Mac. The latest iMovie software is only $15. I don't know what's available for PC, if that's what you're using. I'm no pro at video editing, but I do claim to being creative and technically savvy with digital arts in general. For me, including processing time, the project took about 10 hours start to finish, with no real plan to start with. I just started piecing things together to the music as it felt right. The hardest part was acquiring the footage! Now I've used up almost everything I had, so it's back to the acquisition stage. It'll probably be a few more months before I can put another video together! haha bummer

Damn Bill, that ladyfish looked awesome! Felt like burning some incense with the music

Thanks for the info UB. I am a PC user and still refuse tomake the switch to Apple.

For those of you that are on Facebook, if you go to GoPro page you can actually registar to win one with a ton of accessories. They are giving one away everyday.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......

sweet vid brotha!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast