Yankee Capts 11/6-9 Mutton Marathon
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yankee Capts 11/6-9 Mutton Marathon

Everything was perfect; the drive down wasn't too bad, picked up bait (goggle eyes and speedos) with no problem, the forecast was for 1-2 ft seas, a fairly light load (26 I think) of friendly anglers was amassed, and the crew was ready, willing and able. The only problem turned out to be the current. It was screaming. Greg tried to move around to get out of it but to no avail. I used 12 oz's most of the trip.

There were yellow tails everywhere we went. To me they were a nuisance because I generally do not target them. To the chicken riggers they were heaven sent. I just wish the chicken riggers would not feel they need to get closer to you when catch a decent fish. The catch that I saw consisted of the usual suspects: yellow tails, kingfish, red groupers, black groupers (a 31 lber was caught), strawberrys, muttons, dog snappers, mangrove snapper, trigger fish, and black fin tuna. Did I mention yellow tails? At the dock I think I counted 20 totes.

For the conditions and considering I don't spend the whole trip on the rail anymore (getting old and fat is a b****), I don't feel I did too bad. I had 2 groupers, 2 muttons, 2 dog fish (a first for me), a big trigger, and an assortment of yellow tails. I'm a lousy photographer and didn't take many pictures.

Biggest of my two dog fish.

Hats off to the crew - Capt Greg, Lyndon, Johnny, Matt, Joe & Briso - who did their usual outstanding job. They were there when you needed them whether to gaff a fish or untangle a rats nest. Joe's breakfast and dinner were great.

We call those big snapper Cubera Snapper!! Nice one!
    fish on the brain ; pirate in the blood

Invasion of the yellowtails! Nice job and report. Sucks about the current sounds like the stream pushed up into the reef. Still managed a nice box of fish.

Fins look yellow to me on the big snapper. Dog snapper or cubera still a nice catch!, congrats

Thanks for posting, I wait eagerly for YC threads since for the past two years I've only gone three times, not for lack of interest but cause I'm building a Pro Street Mach 1.
    BTW - those fish are clearly dog snappers but even if they didn't have the yellow fins ( which sometimes they look like cuberas) take a look at the whiteish bars running down the eyes.... Those are exclusive to dog snappers.

Nice & chunky, have to add dog snaps to my list, not very common normally where we mutton fish in DT as they are lone wolfs except during spawning. Jamaica and Belize have larger pops where they are commercially fished. Do they taste much like Mangs?
    http://myfwc.com/media/87711/saltwater_snapdog.jpg

dogsnapper.JPG
    Last edited by globalwavetracker; 11-12-2014 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks for posting! I came to see the fish toss, but arrived a bit late. I could see there were lots of fish but didn't realize there were so many yellow tails. Finally, I can do more than read about everyone else having fun!

Thanks for taking the time to write a report Bob.

As usual always a pleasure Bob.

Greg

The large snapper in the cooler is a dog snapper (whitish triangle below eye), the other snapper pic, later in this tread, is a schoolmaster (small dotted line below eye).

Quote Originally Posted by globalwavetracker View Post
    Nice & chunky, have to add dog snaps to my list, not very common normally where we mutton fish in DT as they are lone wolfs except during spawning. Jamaica and Belize have larger pops where they are commercially fished. Do they taste much like Mangs?
    You would think that such a pretty and not ordinary catch for SE Florida would taste as good as a mutton or ARS but in my personal opinion, I did not like dog snapper, stronger taste and darker meat than its other cousins. JMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast