Finished a new lobster snare design i have been working on.

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finished a new lobster snare design i have been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTpVYf0IwQ4

its made of all stainless parts and very slim 1/2" ss tubing . please dont comment saying its to strong it will hurt lobster blah blah, its not. I've had many lobsters pull out of my other automatic PVC snare (bought at the dive shop) so i made one that has zero play in the cable and locks tight wherever it stops around the tail. thanks matt

Love the idea. The issues you mentioned above are the very same I have been complaining about. I altered mine to close to a smaller loop but there is now slack causing the loop to re-open slightly. There is nothing more frustrating that the lobster pulling off. Matt are you making any for sale???? I'll give it a try. Iím looking for a snare that when it shuts it stays locked.
    Changin' Latitudes

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Gerry View Post
    Love the idea. The issues you mentioned above are the very same I have been complaining about. I altered mine to close to a smaller loop but there is now slack causing the loop to re-open slightly. There is nothing more frustrating that the lobster pulling off. Matt are you making any for sale???? I'll give it a try. Iím looking for a snare that when it shuts it stays locked.
    the PVC equalizer snare does have the 3/8" slop in the cable in which the lobsters get free of. That is what made me go into my machine shop and start re thinking a better mouse trap. Mine has zero play. The PVC snare has a rod with cut outs every 3/8" that is meant to stop lobsters getting loose (its a bad design). This is a prototype and im going to test it for a while, if i make them price would be around ($125-150 retail) as they are handmade and everything is stainless steal the cost is higher then something plastic would be. The green stick lobster snare isnt spring powered but is 35 bucks and has a great zero play design , and if you loss it its cheap to replace. Sorry for the poor video but i dont want my idea/design to be copied. thanks matt

file for a provisional patent! Easy to do online at USPTO.gov

well i went out to pecks and left my net on the boat and got 14 lobsters just with the new snare!!! i found a few small flaws to work on , but it was a great to use...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okom.jpg 
Views:	629 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	6558

looks great! great job!

I use the lobster lasso. The one the aliligator trapper made and sells. 30 bucks never lost 1 lobster. I dont know the guy or anything I'm just trying to help out. lobsterlasso.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Snook View Post
    I use the lobster lasso. The one the aliligator trapper made and sells. 30 bucks never lost 1 lobster. I dont know the guy or anything I'm just trying to help out. lobsterlasso.com
    wow a stick with a loop on the end!! you can make that for 2 bucks and i bet you loose lobsters in a deep hole, plus the huge loop will get snagged on rocks. no thanks

LOL.. cant you read. I never lost one lobster. especially works best in deep holes, big ones too. theres more thought that went into it than a loop and a stick. The main thing that makes it work so well is the guage of the cable used for the loop. theres no need for triggers and locking mechanisms. its worth the 30 to me my times pretty valuable. No need to be defensive or rude im just trying to help by letting people know it works absolutely flawlessly for me. If you can make it for 2 bucks I recommend you start on it rght away, just call the guy and get the specs from him first.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Snook View Post
    LOL.. cant you read. I never lost one lobster. especially works best in deep holes, big ones too. there's more thought that went into it than a loop and a stick. The main thing that makes it work so well is the gauge of the cable used for the loop. there's no need for triggers and locking mechanisms. its worth the 30 to me my times pretty valuable. No need to be defensive or rude im just trying to help by letting people know it works absolutely flawlessly for me. If you can make it for 2 bucks I recommend you start on it right away, just call the guy and get the specs from him first.
    We make something similar with doubled up trimmer line. Its self cinching like the lobster lasso. I buy 8 foot sections of 3/8" aluminum round bar and make a 4.5' and 3.5' tickle stick then add the snare to the back ends. Cost is around 15 bucks each stick/snare. With a tickle stick and snare combo I have one less tool to worry about losing. Its longer than the store bought snares/sticks. Add a good net to the mix and no lobster ever gets away. Now if I could only get time to go kill some bugs.
    - Travis

Shut Up and Fish

"Common sense isn't as common as commonly thought." Me
    "The unprepared man goes into the game prepared to lose." Me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast