FILTERS ON MOTORS SUZUKI 300
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS

FILTERS ON MOTORS SUZUKI 300

I have never changed the 3 filters on
    the motors.They have 1500 hours.Any
    recs on when should be changed.

I will add to this and say that a Fram Ph4386 oil filter fits the 300 like a champ. They sell for just under $5.00 vs the $20 plus that Suzuki sells their filters for. As for which fuel filters to replace Id go with all of them at 1500 hours. I am coming up on 1,000 and all will get replaced then.

How did you find these filters would fit?
    Im also tired of paying 40 bucks every
    100 hours.

I walked into Autozone with a Suzuki filter, asked if he could cross the numbers. It did not work, so he looked up Suzuki and his computer showed up to the 250, but nothing for the 300. I jumped on my phone on Browns Point Marine's website and looked up the oil filters and turns out the same filter is used from I believe the 150 to the 300. I bought 2 and came home and installed one. It threads right one, the top plate looks slightly different but fits and works, does not leak oil. It has a flat gasket around it as opposed to the Suzuki which has an "O" ring around it. it still matches up to the mating surface nice and tight. The top plate looks different, the best way to explain it is when they made it they punched and drilled the center threads in it. The Suzuki filter has the threads extending down into the can of the filter, the Fram, has the threads extending out of the filter. The engine has plenty of room for it to thread on tight enough to mate the gasket to the engine. Since I had the Suzuki filters and the Fram filters I installed one of each. Have not used them much yet but enough to see it is not leaking any.
    The Suzuki manual only suggests changing the oil every 100 hours, it suggests changing the filters every 200 hours. To me that seems crazy but that is what the manual says. I change them every hundred as well.

Been using the fram ph 4386 with out a problem
    this oil change did have so they cross checked
    and i got Mobil M1-103 FILTER.Much better filter
    than Fram.Cost 12.00

Not to be a wise guy........but would you buy a water separator/fuel filter rated for 20 gph throughput and try to run a twin 225 outboard setup with it?

Probably not because you would immediately notice symptoms at high speed. Oil starvation symptoms won't always appear as easily to detect.

As I understand it, the difference in the marine filters is that there flow rate rating is higher. Autos have 4 or 5 quarts........your outboard probably has about twice that much.

You will eventually suffer consequences if you are not letting the oil circulate through the motor as rapidly as the engineers designed it to be............no matter how clean it is.

That is why the only apparent visual difference is "how the insides look just a little different."
    Common sense ain't so common anymore.

$15 savings not worth it IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by CountryBumpkin View Post
    Not to be a wise guy........but would you buy a water separator/fuel filter rated for 20 gph throughput and try to run a twin 225 outboard setup with it?

Probably not because you would immediately notice symptoms at high speed. Oil starvation symptoms won't always appear as easily to detect.

As I understand it, the difference in the marine filters is that there flow rate rating is higher. Autos have 4 or 5 quarts........your outboard probably has about twice that much.

You will eventually suffer consequences if you are not letting the oil circulate through the motor as rapidly as the engineers designed it to be............no matter how clean it is.

That is why the only apparent visual difference is "how the insides look just a little different."
    I have tried to find a difference between a auto filter and
    a marine oil filter.Could not find info anywhere.To me the
    difference is the Suzuki name printed on the filter.

I have run the Fram's with no issue. However I have read of someone having issues with auto filters bursting under outboard pressure, and since I make some pretty long runs have decided to switch back to Suzuki filters, but only for peace of mind. I don't think there is much difference other than one is labeled "marine". I do not know of the brand this other guy was running and don't doubt they were the cheap auto parts store brand. As for flow rates I would doubt there would be an issue, as most marine engines run a thinner oil than most cars do, so it should flow through a filter easier than typical car oil.

Over 2000 hours and been using the Fram and Mobil
    filters not a problem.Just had boat in for service and
    brought in the filers and my friend that owns the shop
    said no problem using them.