Yankee Capt "Mutton Marathon" 9/14/14
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Yankee Capt "Mutton Marathon" 9/14/14

We made our way down to the keys last Wednesday to fish the Yankee Capt on a 3 day Mutton Marathon in the Tortugas. This was our first trip on the YC. We loaded up on hoos, pins and blue runners and packed our gear on the boat Thursday night with high hopes. BSed with some of the other fisherman before heading below and crashing til about 4 am. Woke up and caught a few flyers with the shrimp net before we reached the first spot. Immediately caught a nice mutton and red grouper and then NOTHING, for 22 straight hours of hard fishing. Ended up with 1 more nice mutton in the middle of the next night and that ended the catch. Myself and 4-5 other guys didnt sleep the entire trip. I have never seen bottom fishing as slow as this was. I dropped every bait that existed with a very minimal catch to show for it. Thank god for trolling from spot to spot which yielded a bunch of kings and bonita for bait and ended up being the highlight of the trip. Sharks and 12" yellowtails were a nuisance at every drop. We ended up heading in 8 hours early after the anchor line snapped and the high winds didnt allow drifting. At this point everyone on board was happy to head in early. At the dock I saw 6 totes. Saw a total of maybe 3 muttons over 12 pounds, a few nice red grouper and a few kings. Most of the guys settled for using chicken rigs to catch 15" yellowtail so they could come home with something.

The mates were awesome. They were very helpful and fun to talk with. The cook was a nice guy and the food was excellent given the conditions. While the captain did make an effort to put us on some fish, a few things really bothered me. For one, the captain never introduced himself or the crew to any of the fisherman on board. We entered the boat having no idea where the bathrooms were, life jackets, etc. Nothing. This was a big safety concern for me. Im not sure why there couldnt be a couple minute meeting before leaving the dock. The captain stayed in his cabin the entire trip. No thank you's, no apologies for the horrible catch, nothing. Most of the guys spent over a grand on the trip with bait, tackle etc. A few regulars said the Captain wouldnt even know there names if they asked. Luckily it was a good group of guys (Minus 1) and we made the best out of it. I'm sure I'm going to hear some flack for this but I heard similar responses from most of the fisherman onboard. Due to the lack of professionalism from the captain, I will be trying somewhere new next year.

Edit: Capt was not the first off the boat like I previously stated
    Last edited by surfer23mg; 09-16-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Wow very interesting, I was planning to go on a mutton trip later this year and being my first time on their boat I have been reading past threads. Sucks you didn't catch like normal trips that I've read. And the unprofessional capt is not cool. Hey at least you brought something home and got away from work/wife/and or kids lol

Thanks we made the best of it and still had a good time!

I know ticket,bait,gas,food,tip 1000$ easy gone!!!!!

Greg, is that your regular boat near Hogfish and Fishbusters?
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

One of my crew, Matt, moved my truck soon as we got in. It was blocking in someones truck. He parked it across the street.

I was on the upper deck cleaning soon as we hit the dock. I stayed on the boat till 10:00 AM and was the last to leave. I DON'T RUN, NEVER ONCE IN 30 YEARS.

I made numerous announcements. Including the several times about the $150 credit everyone will receiving because of the tough fishing and conditions. I also said if anyone has any questions please find me.

As far as me hiding I was downstairs numerous times hanging. Hell, I check the engine room every hour. I tend to blend in and let my crew do their job. I jump in as needed. As you stated they are excellent.

I had my hands full this trip. The conditions were tough and the bite was worse.

I am sorry the catching was lousy. I did the best I could with the conditions. Trust me no was more disappointed than me. I hope you use that $150 credit at some point and get on a trip with typical results.

I offer no excuses.

Greg
    Last edited by Yankee Capts; 09-16-2014 at 01:18 AM.

I have never been on a Yankee Capts trip but his response and the overwhelming positive responses you get from other trips would lead one to believe you just got on one of the few bad trips.

Take his credit and try again sometime. The pics and post don't lie. They produce fish on a consistent basis.

I never blamed the bad fishing on the captain. As I said he tried moving several times but the bite just wasn't there.

It wasn't just you guys, we went out on another boat during the same time, saw you guys out there too. We had an excellent grouper bite, but came up short on muttons and big yellow tails. 12" tails were everywhere but only found a few flags thanks to sharks and pesky blue runners who were picking up the flatlines before the bait could get back.. The weather also made fishing tough at times but we managed.

As a side note, Saw everyone loading up on YC when we were at Hogfish on Thursday. There was a very pretty girl going on your trip, how did she do out there?

Im sorry about your luck as well but good job on the grouper. She was my gf. I bring her fishing as much as I can. She took it very well. Got bored along with everyone else but she was a trooper.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast