Breaking news: Clyde Butcher is now a Sony user
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breaking news: Clyde Butcher is now a Sony user

Noted large format photographer Clyde Butcher is now a Sony user. If you don't know his work go to his website.

Below is a portion of a mass braodcast email from him:

"Well...I think I'm going to have to admit in a public forum that I'm actually growing old. At 72 years old it has become very difficult for me to carry my large format camera gear any distance. That 60 pound backpack hurts my back if I walk to far. I love photography, and I won't give up large format photography...it's just not going to happen as often.

I've decided to try digital. It's certainly a lot lighter to carry on my back! I purchased a Sony A 7R that has 36 megabytes. I also purchased a Cannon 17 Tilt & Shift, Voitlander 12, 15, 21 mm."

The Sony 7R is a new mirrorless 35mm full frame that has been available just a few months. In any account, I am sure he will be showing us in no time that it is the vision and not the camera. I hope he continues to share his wonderful vision with us for many years to come.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself.

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.

Love the guy. Anytime I am around him I just shutup and try to see through his eyes. Blessed to live a quarter mile from his "swamp gallery" for several years and took every chance to get by. Whatever keeps him out there showing off our swamps is fine by me.

I agree. I once had the opportunity to spend about 90 minutes with him one on one. A fantastic experience I will never forget and he is a wealth of freely given knowledge.
    Which ever one(s) of you little boys complained about quotes in the signature should be ashamed of yourself.

Instead of complaining to the moderators you should just quit playing on this board.

Clyde is a great photographer and has been an inspiration for me and how i shoot...
    just wish that i had the oppotunity to talk with him, one on one for an hour...

tim

The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002

Here is a snap from a fairly recent one-on one with Clyde. Conservation organization event. He's Brilliant.

Clyde Butcher.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi mac View Post
    Clyde is a great photographer and has been an inspiration for me and how i shoot...
    just wish that i had the oppotunity to talk with him, one on one for an hour...

tim
    Tim:

Spending 90 minutes one-on-one with Clyde was just lucky but something I will not forget. The man is very free and easy with his knowledge. It was at the old historic theater in Sarasota. I was there with Jennifer for their famous street painting event. Clyde was there to give a couple hour lecture. I just happened to remember he was there so I walked in about a half-hour after the book signing was over. He and his wife Nikki were there, as was their daughter. All super nice. We talked about light, reading the composition for exposure. waiting for the light.....light....light....light.....

We walked out of the historic theater together and I had the opportunity to show him around the street painting venue and introduce him to some street painters. Jennifer and her team did a 3-foor by 20-foot street painting at the event. Clyde was kind enough to post one of my photos on his blog. He said my photo of the street painting was better than his. That was nice of him. Below is a photo of Clyde and I inside the historic theater's lobby.

One of the things Clyde said to me that day is I should change to Canon because Canon has a 17mm T/S lens. I guess he was serious because here is a photo he posed two days ago (and that I stole from his FB page) of him of with the Canon 17mm T/S bolted onto the front of his new Sony camera.

Also, below are the first two photos he published coming off the new camera. Yep, they look like Clyde's work!

Craig,
    what an oppurtunity....
    Clyde's photos are in the same class as Ansel's...
    i'm jealous that you had the oppurtuniy to be up close and personal with a living legend...
    publishing your pix on his blog is the ultimate compliment of your talent...
    i have no other words...
    you do indeed, shoot some amazing images...
    now you're out there, certified in the rarified air of the truly great, by of one of the best there is...

tim

The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002

I've had a couple of arguments with Clyde on occasion and you have to understand where he's coming from. He made his nickel shooting wide, but then printing wide or maybe huge is a better choice of words. He took his time to master one field of view only. He shoots at 100 degrees or a little wider. In large format he doesn't even bother to compose on the ground glass. He stands to the side and aims the camera.

He loves that Canon 17mm because it's 105 degrees view out the gate. It allows him to use it like he always has. I personally don't think it's a good reason to choose one lens over another by the way you aim it, but oh well. If Nikon made a tilt shift lens with 100 degree field of view, then he'd have purchased that possibly.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio

Actually, I don't understand why he didn't opt for a technical camera with all the movements and a digital back because the field workflow would be so much more similar to large format and in a considerably smaller package.

Something like an Alpa 12 TC with a Phase one 60 megapixel back mounted with a Rodenstock 32mm (107-degree FOV).

Of course you aren't going to buy that for $4K but the file would be sooooooo much better for someone that prints at the enormity he does.

And.....it is sort of sad Nikon doesn't make a 17 T/S lens.

what I don't understand is why Clyde bought a sony just to bolt a canon lens on it...
    he can afford a 1dx or even a 6d...

I guess it's like my late fil said..."all good artist are a little eccentric"....

I wonder whether I'm crazy or eccentric from time to time...
    my wife assures me I'm both...not too sure how she meant it and wasn't going to ask...

tim

The Real White Dog

#12976, joined 8-17-2002

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast