Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge 05/24-26/14
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yankee Capts Pulley Ridge 05/24-26/14

Sorry that this is a little late. I had to fight computer and photobucket issues.

I was finally getting to go on a Pulley Ridge deep drop trip after waiting nearly a year. With the boat departing at 8pm on the 23rd I figured I should leave a couple hours early for the normal 6 hour drive because of the holiday weekend traffic. Traffic turned out to be quite light and I was the first to arrive around mid-afternoon. Coming home woud be another story. (more on that later.)

Pretty soon others on the trip started to arrive and an impressive amount of tackle, coolers and equipment started to pile up on the dock. Capt Greg arrived and soon after gave the go ahead to start loading. The next couple hours were spent checking tackle, getting extra ice and last minute goodies, or hanging out at the Hogfish Grill. Their lobster bisque is quite good by the way.

I was glad to see that quite a few anglers were using the Diawa Tanacom 1000 as I was or the Tanacom Bull 1000. I was using a 7' Star 50H which worked but was a little on the stiff side. Next time I will go with something a little lighter. There was one brave angler who did quite well hand cranking. Cudaman also did quite a bit of jigging. In the deep water both are way too much work for me.

Finally the 8 oclock hour rolled around it it was time to leave. Most everyone hit the bunks for the 12 hour ride to the fishing grounds so they would be rested and ready to go in the morning.

Saturday morning we reached our destination and started our first drift about 9 am. Fish started coming up immediately, I got a black edge snapper (I believe thats what its called) and the next drop brought a decient Queen snapper up. The fishing was almost constant the rest of the day. There were red groupers, blueline tiles, snowy grouper, yellow edge grouper, mystic groupers caught steadily during the day. There were also 10-12 mahi-mahi caught as they came around the boat. As day turned into night Greg moved the boat up on top of the ridge and drifted in approximately 200 ft. The main catches were blackfin tuna, red grouper and mutton snapper.

I have to give Cudaman credit for allowing me to use the "fish" pictures he posted on his blog "http://www.cudamanadventures.com" Though I vowed I would take more pictures this trip, as usual I got caught up in the fishing and took very few.

Wahoo

Yellow edge Grouper

Black Fin

Mutton Snapper

Red grouper

Blue Line Tile

Snowy Grouper

AmberJack

About 5 pm on Sunday Capt Greg announced that we were out of ice and needed to head in. Before we all headed for the bunks for the ride in Joe (Otown Joe) prepared a feast of fresh black fin sashimi with a killer dipping sauce on the rear deck

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/xaf/media/Pulley%20Ridge%20052414/sashimi-session.jpg.html][/URL

I think they need a bigger tote for the mahi. I lost track of the number of totes around 28.

Joe with his pool winning mahi-mahi.

Hats off to Capt Greg and crew for doing their normal outstanding job to make the trip a success and as enjoyable as possible. So another Yankee Capt adventure is in the books.

I alsmost forgot the ride home. It was just the opposite of the trip down, stop and go all the way to Florida City. Took me nearly 4 hours more than normal to get home.
    Last edited by Xaf; 05-31-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Nice report Bob.

It was a pleasure to be out there fishing with all of you.
    www.cudamanadventures.com
    .................................................. ........
    I only keep what I eat or will use for bait.
    I release all sharks.

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    Excellent report...thanks for taking the time to put it together
    Capt Bill

Cape Coral Fla, was Long Island for 52 years
    Here is Cudamans link, which is excellent also

http://cudamanadventures.com/2014/05...ig-and-cranck/
    Capt Bill

Thanks for taking the time to report Bob!

Great to see you.

Greg

Nice report.thanks for writing.how did u like the daiwa tanacon 1000?

Super trip to a special place.
    "You'll get your weather"

Very nice. Love reading these reports.

Quote Originally Posted by bite my bait View Post
    Nice report.thanks for writing.how did u like the daiwa tanacon 1000?
    Good question. I'm close to pulling the trigger on one and would like to hear how it worked out fo you.

I was quite happy with the Tanacom 1000, especially since I got it at a 20% discount. My local tackle shop was having a store wide 20% off sale the week they came in. Since I have never used an electric reel I don't have anything to compare it to but there was a Mega Twin to my left and a Tanacom Bull 1000 to my right and I did not observe any difference in performance. There was a little bit of a learning curve getting used to the controls but once I figured it out I had no problems.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast