Matlacha On The Fly
REPORTSREGIONSFORECASTPHOTOSBOATINGHOW-TOSPORTFISHGEARVIDEOSSTORE

Matlacha On The Fly

I haven't posted a report in some time but we had a pretty decent week despite all the wind and clouds. Matlacha Pass is really filling up with fish right now, especially big trout and reds. We've caught more over-slot trout last month than any time I can remember. Anything in the 24 inch range is really sizable in these waters and here are a pair of them my anglers landed in the last two days.

The trout in the top photo hit a Clouser Minnow cast under the bushes near the Burnt Store sandbar and we thought it was a snook at first since that's what we were targeting. It was a really violent strike. The one in the second photo ate a Crazy Charlie that we were blind casting over a wide open grass flat in the Indian Fields and was followed up by a similar sized gator on the very next cast. Smaller shrimp patterns like the Charlie really worked well on these guys all week.

Lots of reds hanging by the bushes and the best one of the week went to Mike Quinn from Atlanta with this 27 incher. This fish hit the same #4 Charlie that Mike used to land the big trout above.

Of course there are huge snook just about everywhere but they just don't like me, especially when I'm trying to get one to eat a fly. I didn't land a single slot sized snook on fly all season, which means they'll probably start hitting like crazy tomorrow.

You put a real smile on those guys. Great job.
    larrywitt

Trust in the LORD and receive HIS many blessings....

These are the reports we need more of! Great stuff. Going to post in the Fly home page for you!

Great report! Im happyto see some more fly fishing reports. I tie all of my own but never have tied the crazy charlies. Ill have to give them a shot if those big trout will eat them like that over the grass. Thanks for the report man.

God of all days
    Glorious in all of Your ways
    The majesty the wonder and grace
    In the light of Your Name

Let hope rise and darkness tremble
    In Your holy light
    That every eye will see Jesus our God
    Great and mighty to be praised