How to register a used canoe?

Florida Sportsman

How to register a used canoe?

Hello, I know this has probably been asked to death! I tried to get an answer on the last forum before it crashed. I purchased from a friend of a friend an older glass canoe that is 17' long. I have a bill of sale and would like to register it for use with a small motor. I live in Broward county,but will travel if it is easier elsewhere. No numbers on the hull. All I see is a Pat Moore logo on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Stephen...

Take the bill of sale down to the tax collector/dhsmv office, and see if they'll give you a registration. Sometimes they will, sometimes they wont. If they won't call your local FWC office and request an "other than homemade vessel inspection". An officer will come out and take a look at the boat, look for a HIN, etc. Be sure to provide the Officer with a copy of the BoS as well. As long as everything is on the up and up, the Officer will submit a report to Tallahassee to grant you a registration.

Thank you Mr Cobra

Anything less than 10hp (i.e. small motor) and u dont need a registration, can't recall ever seeing a canoe registered

Senior Member Lobstercatcher229's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GrillaG View Post
    Anything less than 10hp (i.e. small motor) and u dont need a registration, can't recall ever seeing a canoe registered
    I have registered 2 canoes. Unless the law has changed registration is needed for any motor, even electric trolling.

I have reported one of them stolen. Hopefully if someone tries to register it I will get my canoe back. It is a 15'9" Gheenoe so it is not the OP's canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstercatcher229 View Post
    I have registered 2 canoes. Unless the law has changed registration is needed for any motor, even electric trolling.

I have reported one of them stolen. Hopefully if someone tries to register it I will get my canoe back. It is a 15'9" Gheenoe so it is not the OP's canoe.
    yes, your right anything with a motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobstercatcher229 View Post

musta changed the rules then

Any vessel in FL with a motor needs to be registered regardless of length. Earlier this year I registered my kayak w/trolling motor. In Plantation there's a tax collector office for this. Check out this link.

http://www.dmv.com/fl/florida/boat-registration

According to Florida state law if you put a electric trolling motor on a log (wood) it has to he registered as a boat unless you paddle it by hand