How to Catch Big Black Drum/Redfish

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to Catch Big Black Drum/Redfish

Hello Everyone,

I put together a video of one of the most effective ways to catch big Black Drum whether you are fishing from the pier, under a bridge, or in a canal where black drum like to roam around. Don't be surprised if a snook or red picks up the bait also. Hope this helps!

http://youtu.be/AZRGLgnA2nc
    TARPON WORLD

www.tarponworld.com

Rare Albino Tarpon Footage- http://youtu.be/p4ZRRO1QxYs

Can't wait to try this in the summer!

Banned
    Cool!

I need to find that sea wall! awesome advice, thanks

Thanks for sharing, I'm still waiting to get on a nice black drum!
    -17' Maverick MA, F150 Yamaha, CoPilot, 6' Power Pole, 21' Stiffy Hybrid-

Another "one of the most effective ways to catch big Black Drum" in early Spring, when they school up into spawning aggregations, is to prospect for them by listening for their distinctive drumming.

You can soak the most succulent Blue crab on Earth until you're Blue In The Face & not catch any Black drum, if they aren't there.

Quiet conditions help & excess noise can make it impossible to hear them. But killing motor and/or music & drifting near/past likely sea walls, jetties, rocks, oyster beds IF you can hear Black drum, you can zero in on Black drum. Bridge/pier fishing for Black drum a hike & good ears can pay off. Once found they'll usually eat crab, shrimp, mollusks & some days probably even a Big Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by FibberMckee View Post
    Another "one of the most effective ways to catch big Black Drum" in early Spring, when they school up into spawning aggregations, is to prospect for them by listening for their distinctive drumming.

You can soak the most succulent Blue crab on Earth until you're Blue In The Face & not catch any Black drum, if they aren't there.

Quiet conditions help & excess noise can make it impossible to hear them. But killing motor and/or music & drifting near/past likely sea walls, jetties, rocks, oyster beds IF you can hear Black drum, you can zero in on Black drum. Bridge/pier fishing for Black drum a hike & good ears can pay off. Once found they'll usually eat crab, shrimp, mollusks & some days probably even a Big Mac.

First Black Drum I ever caught was exactly how you described. Friend was in town to do some fishing and we were in a very secluded area that is loaded with oyster beds. Heard what sounded like bass from a car stereo. Drifted a little further in and BAM!! Giant school of black drum eating everything in sight.

Right now the water is still cold up here in North FL & Blue crabs are hard to find. Black drum are fond of stink baits, so old frozen Blue crabs leftover from last year may outfish fresh live crab. Old black shrimp & dead clams/oysters work well. A cooperative seafood seller may be willing to help by saving unsold stuff for bait/chum. Black drum often respond to chum.

Another "one of the most effective ways to catch big Black Drum" that's especially useful in Spring, when they school up tight, is to search for signs of them mudding. A school of big Black drum rooting around on the bottom can dirty the water allowing an angler to follow the muddy water up current to the source - lots of feeding Black drum.

Banned
    thanks for sharing. great work

Great video! A trick we did up north was to completely bury the hook in the crab, don't worry about where the hook is at all. drum chew their food prior to swallowing, so the hook will find their mouths trust me. I learned this when the bite was "finicky" , the drum would mouth the bait, but not chew or swallow it. A guy showed me the bury the hook trick and the mouthing the bait and missing the fish turned into a good productive night.
    As far as the chum, it definitely works in my opinion. We used to buy a bag of surf clams and let them sit and die overnight. on the boat we would break them up and toss the shells overboard. the nights we did that were usually more productive than the nights we didn't.
    Crabs worked well in the daytime, but clams were the ticket at night, I couldn't tell you why, but that's how it worked out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast