Inshore report 12/23

Florida Sportsman

Inshore report 12/23

Weather looked pretty good yesterday so we headed out around 8am for Pine Island sound. Forum member Darcy was out on the water with a family member he has in town for the holidays so we met up with him at the first fishing spot I ever found that produced quality fish when I moved to SW Florida. Using live shrimp on a Jig head,outgoing tide,old pilings and a small drop off. Sorted through the usual shorties of sheepshead,mangrove snapper,a lot of spanish mackerel yesterday, jacks etc etc. Got a good bite about 30 minutes in a few minutes later pulled in a very nice black drum. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	115306
    This was a personal best for me on this species, my father got his personal best Black Drum last week so it was nice to land one and keep pace with him. We are pretty competitive when we fish together. We all caught fish yesterday and I ended up getting a mangrove snapper that was larger than I thought you could get inshore. An hour later I hook up with something that is an absolute drag screamer!! I'm thinking it is going to be snook-a-saurus, adrenaline was pumping hard!! Few seconds later and a couple head shakes and it feels like I'm caught on the bottom!! Forum member Darcy makes a wise crack at my expense "I think you were caught on a rock the whole time hahahahahah" Taking it in stride, I decided to take a little break. Short time later I see Darcy and he gets slammed!! I hear that canadian accent from about 30 yards away "OY!!!" Line screaming,hard fighting something!! Couple seconds later he says "I think he wrapped me up on the bottom" to which I replied "must of been that rock you were talking about" line breaks and now he knows what I went through. Happened again a little later……. There is something big there and it is SMART!! I'm going to find out what it is and I will get back to y'all as soon as I do. If/when I do catch that fish that has been driving me nuts, I will give him a stern talking to and send him on his way. Also wanted to say Merry Christmas to all of the forum members & their families, reading all your reports and being able to meet some of you recently has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more good times in 2014. Hope everyone had a great year and a lot of fun fishing & spending time with friends and family.
    Last edited by nitelite08; 12-27-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

Quote Originally Posted by nitelite08 View Post
    Weather looked pretty good yesterday so we headed out around 8am for Pine Island sound. Forum member Darcy was out on the water with a family member he has in town for the holidays so we met up with him at the first fishing spot I ever found that produced quality fish when I moved to SW Florida. Using live shrimp on a Jig head,outgoing tide,old pilings and a small drop off. Sorted through the usual shorties of sheepshead,mangrove snapper,a lot of spanish mackerel yesterday, jacks etc etc. Got a good bite about 30 minutes in a few minutes later pulled in a very nice black drum. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	115306
    This was a personal best for me on this species, my father got his personal best Black Drum last week so it was nice to land one and keep pace with him. We are pretty competitive when we fish together. We all caught fish yesterday and I ended up getting a mangrove snapper that was larger than I thought you could get inshore. An hour later I hook up with something that is an absolute drag screamer!! I'm thinking it is going to be snook-a-saurus, adrenaline was pumping hard!! Few seconds later and a couple head shakes and it feels like I'm caught on the bottom!! Forum member Darcy makes a wise crack at my expense "I think you were caught on a rock the whole time hahahahahah" Taking it in stride, I decided to take a little break. Short time later I see Darcy and he gets slammed!! I hear that canadian accent from about 30 years away "OY!!!" Line screaming,hard fighting something!! Couple seconds later he says "I think he wrapped me up on the bottom" to which I replied "must of been that rock you were talking about" line breaks and now he knows what I went through. Happened again a little later……. There is something big there and it is SMART!! I'm going to find out what it is and I will get back to y'all as soon as I do. If/when I do catch that fish that has been driving me nuts, I will give him a stern talking to and send him on his way. Also wanted to say Merry Christmas to all of the forum members & their families, reading all your reports and being able to meet some of you recently has been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to more good times in 2014. Hope everyone had a great year and a lot of fun fishing & spending time with friends and family.
    Very nice report, nitelite! I will be taking family/friends out in the next couple of days. I hope to find my own productive locations soon. Congratulations on a nice day of catching!

Nice report eh. Good job.

nice job and report

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Nice report eh. Good job.
    OY!! All in good fun my friend!! Hopefully we can get back out soon and hunt for some tailing reds. Impossible to do that when I have family on board. They don't like to move around at all!!

For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

Nice report. Go get that rock with some heavier tackle!!

Nice report. Wonder if you got tangled up with a grouper?

Quote Originally Posted by fishdish View Post
    Nice report. Wonder if you got tangled up with a grouper?
    I was wondering the same thing. When it hit it just takes line, no matter how tight I have the drag set. Did the same to Darcy, twice. It's not a subtle bite either, absolutely SLAMS the bait. Been driving me nuts for a few weeks now.

probably looks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piercings_are_cool_by_darkodev.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	115416