December Snook and Tarpon - Bending Sewell Custom Rods

Florida Sportsman

December Snook and Tarpon - Bending Sewell Custom Rods

Alright, let's get down to fishing. So far, this winter has been off to a mild start. Light cold fronts and moderate winds have let the late fall fishing patterns hold on for a little longer than usual. There are still decent opportunities for large snook and tarpon in area passes and bridges at night. The number of bites has decreased, but the quality is still there if you manage to hook up. Adult Tarpon have been feeding well on Hogy 10" Original Series Soft Baits rigged weightless and fished very slowly across the surface. Black has been the best producing color.

Snook have really slowed down, with most of the big fish dispersing into the back country for the winter months. The few fish hanging around are quite lazy and won't chase down your baits. Consider a stationary approach when tempting these big fish. Use heavy tackle like Sewell Custom Rods to land fish quickly. Remember to handle them with care and limit their time out of water. These big breeders are an asset to our local fishery.
    Winter juvenile tarpon fishing is just getting started. Cooler temps concentrate large numbers of adolescent tarpon in deep water lakes, lagoons and creeks. These "honey holes" are not easily located and people are often tight lipped about when and where to catch the fish. Good places to look are way back in deep water creeks around St. James City, Burnt Store and Matlacha Isles. Keep an eye out while cruising, these fish will normally roll on the surface and let you know that they are there. I enjoy targeting these tucked away tarpon all winter long fishing in my Hobie Pro Angler 14. It's size, stability and speed allow me to cover ground and fish comfortably all day long.

Hogy's smaller SI Epoxy Jigs
    are a new favorite for these finicky fish in deep water. Try the 15 gram (2.5") size for small to medium sized tarpon.

An unexpected triple tail made it's way home for dinner on a recent night fishing trip.

wowsers!
    For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen

Huge snook. Nice work Capt!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Whats the setup you guys are using for these fish?? Line class, rod action, length?
    Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 A.K.A Reel Nauti

For the night snook and tarpon:
    Spinning: 8' Sewell Custom Heavy Fast Action Spinning "Tarpon Swim Bait Rod"
    Reel: Shimano Sustain FG 10k
    Line: 50lb PowerPro Slick
    Leader: 80 - 125lb Mono tied via Spider hitch to worm knot to loop knot

Conventional: 6' 6" Sewell Custom Heavy - Moderate Action Acid Wrap Conventional
    Reel: Avet JX 6:1
    Line: 100lb Jerry Brown Hollow Core
    Leader: 125 - 150lb Mono via spider hitch to swivel knot on a fish finder or knocker rig.

The super heavy line is for abrasion resistance, not so much drag. I'll normally use about 11-13lb drag on the spinning rod and 13-17lb on the conventional.

Small stuff is the Sewell Custom S1 Nano 7' Medium Heavy - Fast Action Spinning
    Shimano Sustain FG 5k
    20lb Jerry Brown Solid
    25lb - 40lb fluorocarbon leader via spider hitch to worm knot to loop knot.

Check out the rod reviews in detail here: http://theintrepidangler.com/gear-reviews/

wow really nice fish and report. I have to get the Hogy for Tarpon to work..but I will keep trying

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Release Offshore Gear
    www.releasegear.com

'Performance Offshore Apparel and Gear'

Quote Originally Posted by releasegear View Post
    wow really nice fish and report. I have to get the Hogy for Tarpon to work..but I will keep trying
    When are you trying to use it? I have the most success when sight casting in shallow water or using it around bridges when fish are visibly feeding.

Stick to bone and black with unweighted swim bait hooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ross View Post
    When are you trying to use it? I have the most success when sight casting in shallow water or using it around bridges when fish are visibly feeding.

Stick to bone and black with unweighted swim bait hooks.
    Thx - I just need to keep trying/experimenting ..I usually give up to soon and start throwing live bait

Mike Wilhite - Fisherman/President

Release Offshore Gear
    www.releasegear.com

'Performance Offshore Apparel and Gear'

Awesome report! Awesome fish!