Split Rings on lures.....

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Split Rings on lures.....

When you buy a new lure that has a small split ring on the nose loop....do you tie to the split ring, or remove it and just tie a loop knot directly to the loop on the nose of the lure...??????????

The only split rings I ever leave on the nose of the plug are pretty stout ones. Light ones get tossed..... The difference between the two is simple, tie a piece of leader (30 is my minimum, if the plug is going to be used for big tarpon it's as much as 80lb) and pull it tight while the plug is hooked to something solid so it won't move. Any sign that the split ring is opening up while cinching down the knot and it's not strong enough.... The same goes for the cheap split rings that the hooks are attached to on many lures (if I can find the right sized replacements). Get into some big jacks or other critters that are really hard on plugs with standard split rings and you'll wind up missing some hooks....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    When you buy a new lure that has a small split ring on the nose loop....do you tie to the split ring, or remove it and just tie a loop knot directly to the loop on the nose of the lure...??????????
    There's really no reason to have a split ring at the nose eye hook unless you intend on adding a swivel.
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Moondawg View Post
    There's really no reason to have a split ring at the nose eye hook unless you intend on adding a swivel.
    Sure there is, or the manufacturer would not spend the extra time and money to put a split ring there. Some lures come with a split ring and some do not. The purpose of installing a split ring on some lures is that it allows the lure to work properly once it is being moved through the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewilde View Post
    Sure there is, or the manufacturer would not spend the extra time and money to put a split ring there. Some lures come with a split ring and some do not. The purpose of installing a split ring on some lures is that it allows the lure to work properly once it is being moved through the water.
    A split ring contributes to how a lures moves in the water? Idlewilde, I make lures for a living and a single split ring at the eye hook does not contribute to the action, it's simply because some people like to add a swivel because they are still using mono. I do not attach a split ring at the front because the majority of my lures are topwater. I have done pretty much all the research that you can think of on lures from their action, color, shape, hooks, hook location, hardware placement etc and the list goes on...
    Just 'cause the sun don't shine, doesn't mean you can't go fishin'..
    http://www.sixwavelures.com
    100% Handcrafted Wooden Lures & Jig Heads

Quote Originally Posted by guido4198 View Post
    My guess is they put them on there because most folks don't tie loop knots. And a lure with a cinch knot tied to a split ring would presumably work better than a cinch knot tied to the eye.

I remove them and tie loop knots to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by lunch money surf View Post
    My guess is they put them on there because most folks don't tie loop knots. And a lure with a cinch knot tied to a split ring would presumably work better than a cinch knot tied to the eye.

I remove them and tie loop knots to the eye.
    DING!! We have a winner. (IMO)

Other than that, I agree with everyone else. I remove the weak rings and replace them with stronger. Depending on the wire diameter of the eye loop, I may or may not replace with a stronger ring.

The least amount of terminal tackle in the water, the better..Split rings on the nose come off of my lures.

Learn to tie one of these.

That is the best knot I have ever used but should it be the only knot I use for a line to hook connection? Once I learned this knot I have not used any other, am I wrong for doing so?

www.Tri-TownConstruction.com

Let's turn this economy around! BUY AMERICAN!

I like its because its low profile and strong..I always tie a loop knot to lures and jigs nothing else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast