Upper keys bonefish

Florida Sportsman

Upper keys bonefish

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	114269

Decided to do a little bone fishing on my day off this past week rather than fishing our usual redfish spots in Florida Bay. My buddy capt Jess Atkins and I headed up from my house in lower mat to our bonefish grounds in the upper keys. We caught the last two hours of the falling tide and that's when I picked up this chubby tailer with a well placed live shrimp. Had two other shots on the falling tide but couldn't get them to eat. After the mid morning slack wore off and the tide started pushing in is when the fish started showing themselves again. The bones weren't cooperating too well on the incoming. I did get one more to eat but he came undone shortly after setting the hook. All in all it was a good day, saw a ton of bonefish which is a good thing for the keys.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	114270

Nice fish! Dark back on that bone is that common?

Did you get a weight on her? She looks real round and healthy.

Key Largo, FL/Bradenton, FL/Steinhatchee, FL
    Nice fish indeed. We live such a charmed life in these parts, hmmmmmm tailin reds or go chase the grey ghost??? Haha good stuff, and thanks for sharing the details.

I've gotten a couple questions about the dark back. I don't know why for sure, but I'm guessing they darken just like a red fish does or a snook to blend in with the bottom better. Most of the fish are darker in this spot, the bottom is really dark. Didn't get her on a scale but she was 8-10 lbs. Most of the bones we saw that day were on the larger side.

I have a place in lower mat, I love the bonefish around there, some of the biggest boners around there! Nice fish!

Great fish.... What did you trick her into eating?

Live shrimp

Healthy fish....great job and better than work!!!