Sunday Morning Report

Florida Sportsman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sunday Morning Report

After having success on the last trip the girls kept asking me to take them out again. Only free time on the schedule was Sunday morning so I loaded the boat up the night before so we could hit the road at day break. Launched around 7:00 a.m. and headed to an area that always seems to hold reds. When we got to our spot I set up a drift and knew the reds were there after numerous "clouds" on the bottom as we drifted through. I wasn't getting anything on the spoon so I decided to put the stick pole in the ground and hold position to see if we could get them on live bait (shrimp). The wind created too much haul slap on the old jon boat so the only real option was going to be a drift. My 8 year can't quite cast far enough for flats fishing yet so she cast out as far as she could and let the line go out as we drifted. It wasn't but a minute later when I heard "Daddy, Daddy, I got one". I thought she may have been snagged on the bottom but her screaming drag said red. She tried to pass the rod to me but I told her it wasn't happening. The only help I gave her was I tightened up her drag a little and held the boat still with the pole. 5 minutes later we had a 25" red on board.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-4 copy.jpg 
Views:	305 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	113664
    This was her first red and I am sure she will remember it. Baited her own hook, cast her own line out and reeled in the fish. Not sure who was happier. We managed a second red on a gold spoon that my 5 year old helped me reel in and a few nice trout as well. The little jon boat was fine for just me, but now that the girls are bigger and both like the water it's time for a bigger boat.

Great job...that's a happy face for sure.

That's awesome! Nice work.

Awesome! family time and great story.

What a nice report, thanks!

Nice report and great fish! I'm sure she was excited when that fish started peeling off line. That's great that she was able to get that big ol' redfish from cast to catch! Maybe she can be our next guest speaker at one of the forum meetings so she can school us all on redfish. Looking forward to fishing with ya after the Holidays Ben.

Great job on your part to let her fight the fish. The sound of your voice and hers would have been interesting to hear.
    Thanks
    larrywitt

Awesome report and nice fish! Look for this in the what's biting now section on the front page, going to put it up there for ya.

She likes it snookslayer. Thank you. Larry, I have some video I took with the phone and she was making all kinds of excuses of why I needed to take over for her. I will try to figure out how to get if off my phone and on to the website this weekend. Once she saw the fish boil near the boat she got excited and quit complaining about her arms being tired. Of course she reminded me the next day.

Awesome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast